Chapter 1

Some people say that people never change
I disagree.
And I have a lifetime of experience to prove it.

As a baby my life took a big change after my mother died.
As a child I was taught that we are have to change to survive.
As a teenager, when I moved from the wild, the people around me changed, and so did I. Sometimes, admittedly, not for the best.

So much has changed.

So how come as I sit here, behind the Kafe counter, watching the casual bustle of businessmen finish their lattes, it seems like nothing has changed at all?

Jana was half relieved when her phone vibrated against her pocket. It's dangerous to think about these things too much. She was still only half aware of her surroundings, so she didn't even look at the caller identity before speaking.
'Hello?'
'Hey Jana, I need your help'
Her heart sank a little when she realised it was TJ. Jana was hoping it would be a certain someone else.
'Sure. What's the issue?'

------------

10 minutes later and the alpha was standing outside Newcastle College. A piercing cold wind made her shiver, making her hope that he came out soon. Shoving her hands in the pockets of her fake leather jacket, Jana felt her mind casually drifting away. For the past 6 months they had always come back to the same thought.

Rhydian.

I just don't understand. He called, 6 months ago, saying he and Maddy would visit. I was overjoyed. Apart from a few late night skype chats, I'd had no contact with them for years.

It hurt, to be honest. They were my best friends. I could accept a small decrease in the communication, but this was so unlike them.

Sighing heavily, the red haired wolfblood leaned back against a metre high brick wall. Had something gone wrong? 6 months is a long time, but how much could have changed to cause this? She found herself laughing slightly at her error. Change can happen so quickly, I shouldn't doubt the amount of events they could have gone through. I know I shouldn't be angry, but I can't help it. I've been let down hundreds of times before, so why was I so miserable now?

She jumped when TJ suddenly materialised next to her, sitting on the wall she was leaning against. Jana didn't even sense him coming. Mentally preparing herself, she turned round to face him, a smile plastered on her face.

'Hey, what's the problem?' It took a few seconds of silence before she frowned in confusion.

'Where's Matei?'

TJ looked at his alpha uneasily.

'That's the problem Jana' TJ began 'I haven't heard from him all day.'

TJ looked genuinely concerned, which surprised Jana. She didn't expect that from a guy like TJ.

'Me and Sel tried to call him' he added 'He's not answering. Have you heard from him at all?'

Jana shook her head 'No, nothing.'

The two stood there for a minute, each deep on their own thoughts. Sure, Matei wasn't one to try and have 100% attendance, but there had never been a time when he didn't have a reason to bunk off. There must be something.

Jana noticed TJ's hand on her arm. 'Whatever he's going through, he probably just needs some space. But he also needs you, Jana.'

Jana nodded and and gave him a small smile before walking through the gates, out of the college. It was a genuine smile this time. Despite his sarcasm and constant jokes, TJ was a lot more caring than people give him credit for.

---------------

Jana never actually been to Matei and Emilia's foster parents' house. However working at Segolia had allowed her to access all their personal information. Ten minutes later and she was standing at the end of the driveway of 13 Glenn Gardens, sniffing the air thoughtfully. Two wolfbloods, one male, one female. The female seemed older, was she Matei's foster mother? But before she could properly analyse the house that sat in front of her, the front door swung open.

'Jana! Well this is a pleasant surprise, how great to finally meet you!' A middle-aged woman with short blonde hair and glasses stepped down the driveway, giving Jana a friendly hug when she reached her. Jana assumed that she was the Covachi's foster mother, and hugged her back. She certainly seemed very...enthusiastic.

'It's great to meet you too, um...' Jana mentally slapped herself for not knowing her name. The woman smiled kindly "Call me Cassie. I'm guessing you're looking for Matei."

Jana felt herself blush slightly. "Uh, yeah. It's just- TJ told me he wasn't in college today"

Cassie shook her head sadly "Poor boy. He's acting like it's dark moon day or something. No appetite, no sleep, no nothing! I let him have the day off. He'll feel better tomorrow I'm sure"

Jana nodded. It was nice to see that she cared about him so much.

"Do you think I could go in?" Jana asked.

"Of course. I'll be back in an hour but please try and get him out of the house. He needs some fresh air."

Cassie gave Jana a quick thank-you before continuing to walk down the road, leaving Jana alone on the driveway.

Jana watched her for a while, before cautiously approaching the house, and taking a single step inside.

Authors' note

Hey! Thanks to everyone who left a comment on my final authors note or the aftermath of my first story, they were so kind and supportive, it's great to know that people are reading this!

So that was the first chapter! Please continue to write such amazing comments because it boosts my confidence so much.

If you want more info on the story, go read the blurb thing too. It took me so long to write and idek why!

Love you xx