Chapter 4

"If we leave now we could get there for sundown. Have you got a set of keys? Matei? Matei!"
"Hm?Oh, yeah I got some."

Jana sighed and shut the front door behind her. Matei was stood at the end of the driveway; he seemed to be staring into the distance. A minute passed, and he had still not moved, however he began to sense Jana slowly approaching him from behind. Matei cleared his throat and put his hands in his pockets, not looking Jana in the eyes.

Jana tilted her head, as if it would somehow let her see what the other one was thinking.
"You okay?"
Matei thought for a second before replying.
"No, but I'm getting there. It's just nice to be out of the house for the first time in days" he said, stretching his neck and taking a deep breath of fresh air. A small amount of doubt left Jana's mind. They both knew that it was unlikely for the scars to heal, that it was more likely for Matei to carry this trauma with him for the rest of his life,  but Jana knew that she had to be there for him. She had to.

---------------

The woods situated outside the city seemed like a blur as the two young wolfbloods raced through the trees. The sun had begun it's descent towards the horizon, adorning the sky with pastel pink clouds.

Letting loose was exactly what Matei needed. By the time the den was in sight, any negative thought or memory had been left behind. He slowed to a casual walk, as did Jana.

The den was the same as it was six months ago. The bricks were littered with graffiti, various metal objects that had been long discarded lay among the weeds.

The only difference was that the area seemed to have been attacked by caution tape. The two wolfbloods presumed that it had been set up to keep the press away from harassing the wolfbloods.

They began to pick through the miscellaneous objects, occasionally using their heightened senses to examine the area more thoroughly.

"I kind of miss it" Jana admitted, dragging a large price of corrugated roof from the entrance.

"Yeah, I know what you mean" Matei added "It was like a hideaway, a place that belonged to us. If it wasn't for this place, I'd be in Romania."

Jana coughed

"Oh, yeah, and you. If you weren't there for me and Emilia, I wouldn't be here"

The two smiled at each other. Matei went over to help his girlfriend clear the entrance. His mind reversed to when Jana was planning on stowing him and his sister away to Stoneybridge. Not that it would have been a bad thing, Matei thought, but it would mean a new start, and he didn't like the sound of that.

Matei often wondered what it would be like if they had moved to Stoneybridge. Jana had never said anything negative about the place, and he always saw a distant look in her eyes when she spoke so fondly of the small town where Jana first got introduced to the human world. She must miss it. A lot. And her friends, she must miss them even more. He suddenly stood bolt upright. What was he doing?! He had never once considered that Jana would be missing her family or friends. All this time, she could have been so unhappy, but did he do anything? No! Why?

He quietly groaned and mutterd to himself "I'm such a lousy boyfriend"

"who's a lousy what?" A voice spoke up behind him. Matei spun round so quickly he almost fell over.

"Uh, nothing, don't worry"

"Oh"

Jana nodded and resumed to sniff the area, as if she was looking for something.

"Jana?"

"Hm?"

"What's Stoneybridge like?"

Jana laughed and turned to face her boyfriend "What? Where did that come from?"

"I don't know, I was wondering" Matei replied with a smile.

Jana put her hands in her pockets and looked to the ground, a sign of embarrassment. But why?

"Well it's um...it's great, you know..I um, made a lot of friends there and-" Jana abruptly cut herself off, making Matei even more confused. She went to the entrance to the den and began sniffing around, using her wolfblood instincts to detect that someone was inside.

No, not one person, two people.

And not just people

"Jana, what's wrong?"

In their den, were two wolfbloods.

Authors' note

Hey everyone, hope you all had a happy Christmas xx

I actually wrote this chapter a while ago but it took me ages to type it up, sorry! I'm currently writing two stories but I'm not in school until next tuesday, so a new chapter is on it's way soon!

As always, please vote and comment. Who knows, with some encouragement I may actually update fairly soon!

Happy Christmas again, see you soon xxx