Scene 17: Music Class

(ALEX, JACK, RIAN, ZACK,STUDENTS, and THE TEACHER enter the stage. All stage lights shine on the entire class and teacher.)

Teacher: Today I want you to write a song about your life. I want you to write about past experiences then preform it on stage. You're doing this one on your own. Get to it.

(Each student picks up their pencils and starts writing. someone brings a clock on stage and changes the time to an hour later.)

Teacher: Okay so, I'm going to go alphabetical by first name. That means, Alex is first. Take it away Mr. Gaskarth.

Alex: Thank you sir.

(ALEX walks up onto the "stage" in the classroom. Everyone else walks off stage as a single spotlight shines on ALEX.)

(YOUNG ALEX walks to stage left and a spot light shines on him. He acts out what ALEX sings.)

                                                                       Alex
   BACK IN '95, A LITTLE BOY FROM JUST OUTSIDE OF LONDON TOOK A FATED
TRIP ACROSS THE OCEAN.
    AND LITTLE DID HE KNOW THAT HE WOULD FIND HIS VOICE IN VERSE AND
CHORUS. MAKING WISHES ON HIS BROKEN STEREO. .
   YOU CAN'T SHAKE THE NOISE FROM HIS BONES. HEAR IT ALL PLAY OUT IN DISTANT
ECHOS.
   SO LONG SOLDIER, CRUISE CONTROLLER, SATELLITE TRAJECTORY, GUIDE US
INTO REVERIE AND COME DOWN TO VOICE A GENERATION. 

(SLIGHTLY OLDER ALEX walks to stage right and a spot light shines on him. He acts out what ALEX sings.)

   LATE 2005, THE BOY'S GOT PLANS AS CRAZY AS HIS FRIENDS. THEY TAKE THEIR
CHANCES DRIVING WEST ALONE. GIVE 'EM SIX MORE YEARS, AND SEE WHAT TIME WILL
DO FOR HOPELESS DREAMERS SINGING WISHES TO THEIR BROKEN STEREO.
YOU CAN'T SHAKE THE NOISE FROM THEIR BONES. HEAR IT ALL PLAY OUT IN
DISTANT ECHOS.
   SO LONG SOLDIER, CRUISE CONTROLLER, SATELLITE TRAJECTORY, GUIDE US
IN TO REVERIE AND COME DOWN TO VOICE A GENERATION.
SO LONG SOLDIER, CRUISE CONTROLLER, SATELLITE TRAJECTORY, GUIDE US
IN TO REVERIE AND COME DOWN TO VOICE A GENERATION. 

(YOUNG ALEX and SLIGHTLY OLDER ALEX leave the stage. The STUDENTS, and TEACHER return to the stage.)

Teacher: Alex, that was beautiful. I can tell it came from your heart.

Alex: Thank you sir, I worked hard on it.

Teacher: I can tell you did, that's why I'm giving you a 100 on this.

(A bell rings. Everyone leaves the stage. All stage lights come on for intermission.)