Chapter Three

"Who is that?" My boss Sally whispers to me waving her hand towards Ares. I figured out his name in the car after promising him I'll stop talking if he gave me his name. It was a very silent boring car ride after that. During the drive here I would glance at him but he seemed to notice because he would look at me and glare.

"Alex you can't just give strangers rides what if he was a killer?" She already gave me this lecture last week.I stick my tongue out at her  putting on my apron.

  "You know this killer has killer hearing" Ares snaps from the corner of the room. His jaw clenched as glared at Sally. I look down pretending  to brush away crumbs of my apron. Seriously this guy must be a model. Cause he is serving looks. Every-time I look at him I wanna pull my phone out and just start taking pictures.

  "Lets get back to work" I say noticing a customer standing impatiently in front of the counter. A hood covering the person's face. "Hi sir what can I-"

  "Give me the money" He places a gun at the side of my temple causing me to freeze I close my eyes shut.I didn't imagine death to be like this.Mostly because who would a bakery?This guy must be in serious trouble."I said give me the fucking money"

  "Look sir don't do this if you do this you're going to be ruining your life don't do this to yourself and your family" I say slowly trying to keep my voice from cracking.Out of all the places to rob this guy chooses a cupcake store?  I close my eyes preparing for the impact when I hear a scream.

  "Were you just going to let him shoot you?"  Ares asked holding up the gun with blood on the handle. I look down seeing the guy laying on the floor a bruise forming on his temple.  "Do they not to train the weak here? I know they don't train people how to shut up"  Okay that was a weird and insulting thing to say. Where is this guy from?

  "The police are on their way thank you so much I don't know what we would have done if you weren't here" Sally said her hands shaking.

  "Maybe you should sit down Sal" I say leading her to one of our booths. 

  "I should be telling you that Alex" She laughs but it seems forced like she's trying to keep from crying. I  pass  her a water. Why don't I feel scared? For some reason I feel safe and at ease like nothing can hurt me  and I don't know why. My eyes wondering over to Ares who is already looking at me his head tilted to the side as if he was trying to solve a puzzle.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==

  "Mom Im fine I promise" I say as she pulls me into a hug. 

   "Thank god you are" She whispers into my hair. "This is why I told you always carry pepper spray."  She is clearly distraught so I'm not gonna say anything about the pepper spray.

  "Yes mom" I say turning red realizing that Ares is standing in the doorway still. "Mom um meet the guy who saved me" I say pointing to Ares.The runway model with anger issues. My mom doesn't hesitate to give him a hug. I Expect him to push her away he doesn't he just stands still almost like she is hurting him.

  "Thank you" She says. "God must have sent you to look after my daughter Thank the lord" Ares clears his throat his eyes darting around the room. As if something was about to pop up and grab him.

  "Mom Ares needs somewhere to stay" I pause glancing at Ares. My hands cover my mouth confused. How would I know that? It's almost like I was forced to say it. What the heck just happened?

  "I'm willing to pay Ma'am" Ares says his voice sounding soft. My head snaps to him in shock I've never heard him sound this nice. Sure I've only known him for a day but he hasn't used that tone all day.

  "Oh no" My mom says offended. "You can stay here as long as you like and don't you even think about paying a dime Honey you're part of the family now. Call me Eliza" My mom says gesturing for him to sit on the couch. "Plus it will be nice to have a man back in the house again"  I sigh feeling the memories of my dad start to come back. Really though mom this is the 21 century. We don't need a man in the house. 

  "I'm gonna get some water" I say quietly walking into the kitchen. I sit down breathing in slowly. Why did my dad do this? Why did he have to take everything and leave the people he is suppose to love with nothing? He knew my mom can't work. He knew I would have too. How can someone so selfish be my dad? 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ares Point Of View

   "I'm gonna get some water" Alex said quietly walking into the kitchen. Ares looked at her mom curious. Waiting for an explanation for Alex's change of attitude for some reason it bothered him to see her so upset. 

  "My Alex always trying to help always trying to hide how she feels" Ares looked at Alex's mom curiously. "She doesn't deserve this"

  "What do you mean?" Ares asked unable to help himself. He needed to know what was wrong. He felt if he didn't he would explode.

  "My husband I mean my ex husband has a gambling addiction.Recently the problem has got out of hand. He took our life savings and Alex's college tuition and ran off leaving us. Alex being who she is got a job to support us since I'm unable to due to me being sick" Alex mom wipes her eyes. Ares felt angered and he didn't even know why which made him even more angry.

  "I'm sorry" Ares says shocking himself. Alex mom reminded him of a mother he wish he had. A mother who wanted what was best for him and would do anything for him.

  "I just want my daughter to be happy" He wanted Alex to be happy too.