(6) Zanvis

(Harry Potter AU)

Zane Ro'Meave was watching Travis Valkrum from across the library. He did this a lot, but Travis were none the wiser. Zane found him rather endearing. Travis was always in the library, smiling at the book that he was reading. Zane always supposed that Travis was just another stuck-up Ravenclaw, but now he was feeling like Travis was much more than it. Zane was intrigued by what he was reading that made him smile so much.

Zane was trying to do his Potions essay on Everlasting Elixirs for Professor Hyria, but he couldn’t concentrate. Travis was distracting him. It was aggravating him because well… Travis wasn’t really doing anythinh.

“Travis, you do realise that Zane Ro'Momeave been staring at you for the past five minutes?” His friend, Aphmau, whispered in his ear.

“What?” He mumbled, blinking a few times as he tore his eyes away from the Muggle book that his mother had sent you to peer around the silent library.

Aphmau was right. Zane Ro'Meave was indeed staring at him. His heart seemed to stop as he stared into Zane's blue eyes. Travis had never spoken to Zane in his life. Zane wasn’t the type of person he usually associated himself with – he was arrogant and Travis was sure that he didn’t like him since his mother was a Muggle. But even through six years of being at Hogwarts along with Zane, the most communication they had both shared was this moment.

Travis had noticed how recently Zane was looking as though he was under a great deal of stress. He was becoming rather thin, dark shadows hung under his eyes, and his usual pale complexion was looking rather… rather grey.

Zane grinned at Travis. It wasn’t his usual smug grin. It looked almost, shy.

The next day, Travis was once again in the library. His mother had sent him yet another book to read. And once again, Zane Ro'Meave was in the library, at the same table.

Travis cast a look over in his direction and saw that he was staring, almost determinedly, at his Charms spellbook.

“He’s staring at you again!” Aphmau hissed. “What the hell is his problem?”

Travis shrugged, his eyes flicking upwards to meet Ro'Meave’s. He quickly looked away and Travis sighed before returning to his book.

Travis stayed in the library for another two hours – he was determined to finish his book and, even though he couldn’t really explain why, he wanted to see if Zane would also stay. Aphmau had left and finally Travis and Zane were the only people left in the library.

Travis had finished his book long ago and stuffed it into his bag, knowing that he couldn’t pretend to read it any longer. He peered around, looking for the librarian, Miss Rouge. She was nowhere to be seen.

Travis could almost feel Zane’s eyes on him as he made his way towards the Restricted Section for a book that he could pretend to read. Travis wasn’t really sure why he was doing so, but he was pretty sure that it was because of Zane.

Travis ran his finger down the spines of books, his brows furrowed in concentration as he read the titles.

And then suddenly, he sensed somebody’s presence beside him.

“Your name’s Travis, right?”

It was Zane.

Travis turned to meet his eyes. His breath hitched in his throat as he met those beautiful blue eyes.

“Y-Yeah." Travis stuttered. He was feeling rather nervous. He didn’t want to make a fool of himself in front of him. “And you’re Zane.”

“Yeah.” he replied, his eyes were still staring into Travis'. “What was that you were reading back there?” He enquired, his head titling to the side as though he was considering Travis.

Travis bit your lip. He didn’t want to tell him he had been reading a Muggle book. He was probably already conjuring several names to call him.

“Just this book that my mother sent me.” Travis muttered, not meeting his eye.

He seemed to have caught on and nodded slowly. He was looking apprehensive.

“I-I… I erm.” He looked up at the ceiling. He seemed to be steeling himself. “Your… Your mother is a… Is a…”

“A Muggle, yeah.” Travis admitted in a whisper. He took a quick glance in Zane's direction and saw that he was still staring at him. Travis was rather surprised that he wasn’t calling him a name yet. “Aren’t… aren’t you going to...?”

“N-No!” Zane said quickly. “It’s, erm… I wanted to… It’s stupid,”

“Tell me…”

“Travis, I’ve been watching you from across the library for a while now…” He said in a whisper. He was moving closer towards Travis now. The white haired male instinctively stepped backwards. The back of his thighs hit the narrow desk the run along the length of the bookcase. His heart was beating so fast he were sure that it was in danger of exploding.

“W-Watching me?”

“You intrigued me,” Zane said slowly. “You don’t seem like all the other Ravenclaws. I can’t help but feel like I… I like you.”

Travis' breath hitched in his throat.

“But… but I’m Half-Blood!” Hr exclaimed, looking at him, almost exasperated. “And you… you’re Zane Ro'Meave! You’re not supposed to ‘like me’! You’re supposed to say my mother is a… You know. You are not supposed to even like me as a friend! You… You… You’re–”

Zane frowned and Travis stopped talking immediately.

“Something about you intrigues me, Travis.” He said, his finger curled around a stray piece of white hair while his other hand cupped Travis' face gently. He felt as though he were about to go into cardiac arrest. He could hardly breathe. “If my family knew what I was about to do…” Zane paused, his eyes meeting Travis'. “Irene knows what they would do. But… but I can’t help it, Travis.”

“What…” He gulped slightly as he felt his face heat up. “What are you about to do?”

Zane hesitated for a fraction of a second. Travis' stomach arched with nerves as Zane tilted his head slightly.

“I’m going to kiss you, Travis…”

And then he did. Travis was so surprised at how soft Zane's lips were. He couldn’t quite comprehend it. Zane Ro'Meave  was kissing him.

It took a few seconds for Travis  to realise that he wasn’t responding. Zane was beginning to pull away.

“I’m sorry, I should–”

Travis silenced him. Hid hands gripped the front of Zane's tie, pulling him back towards him. His response was so immediate that Travis was sure he had expected this. Their lips were moving together as Zane's hands moved to grab Travis' waist, pulling him closer to him. Travis was feeling so vulnerable by his actions. But he couldn’t bring hinself to pull away.

“We really…” He whispered against Zane's lips, his hands trailing from his tie to run through his hair. “We shouldn’t be doing this… It’s… Forbidden. I’m Half-Blood.”

“All the more reason to continue.” Zane replied before crashing his lips to Travis' once again.

Travis was sure that Zane wasn’t allowed to be involved with someone like him, but the thought of doing something that he shouldn’t with Zane Ro'Meave pulled him in. He were sure that Aphmau, Vlyad, and Dante wouldn’t agree of their relationship, but as Zane continued to kiss him, he honestly couldn’t care less of what people thought of him.