Crayons

You sit there coloring the horse on the paper your teacher passed out. She asked all the kids in the class what their favorite animals were.

You, of course, said "a unicorn" and the teacher looks at you as if you were insane.

"Honey, I can give you a horse. No unicorns actually exist."

You pout a bit but then shyly nod. She hands you the paper and you beam up at her with your closed lip grin. "Thank you", you say with a small voice. She smiles at you and walks over to the other side of the room.

You look around a table, it is only you and another girl that sat across from you. You stare at her, but not in a rude way. More like an admiring stare, for a kindergartener.

She was tiny and golden skinned with short brown hair held back by a red headband with a bow on it.

Your eyes wander to her paper. She has a lizard, or chameleon from what you can see.

"I thought only boys were supposed to like those kinds of things."

The girl looks up at you and you hold your breath. She's really pretty. Her bangs fall just below her eyebrows, her large doe brown eyes, and as far as you can see... she's missing a few teeth.

"Well I wanted a dragon", she says in frustration.

"What? Why a dragon?"

"Same reason you wanted a unicorn."

She's got you there.

"Well I'm Lauren."

"I'm Karla. Do you want to color together?"

Heck yeah, you think. You aggressively nod at her.

She stands and sits beside you. You smile at her and she smiles back.

"I'm gonna color mine green because your eyes are green and I'm naming it lolo."

You both giggle.

"Well, I'm gonna color mine brown because your eyes are brown. And I'm gonna name mine kaki."

You both smile and begin to work until you finished. You both handed the to papers to your teacher and she hung them up on the board.

You played together until your parents had shown up to bring you both home after your day at kindergarten. Your parents greeted each other and you went separate ways.

Your eyes start to shut. School has always tired you.

You keep dosing off. You stop at a light and you fall asleep.

"God", I panted heavily as I wiped the sweat off of my forehead.

"God damnit, get out of my head."

I held my face and ran my hand through my damp hair. I have to stop having these dreams.

I need to stop having these damn dreams about her.

I walked to the window and opened it, letting in the cool air. I look out at the stars, and the moon. I grabbed the moon pendant that hung around my neck and ran it between my fingers.

"I'll find you one day. I can't remember you, but I'll find you."

I have a feeling that whoever I'm talking about, or to, knows I'll find them because somewhere out there, there's someone.

In West Miami, Coconut Grove, a small window light turns on. A silhouette is seen in the window. There's a girl who's holding her sun pendant, making that same promise to you.

//

Can you feel it?