The Shadow

Anakin led his silent Padawan through the long hallways of the Jedi Temple. He was slightly unnerved by the silence, only broken by his own heavy footsteps. Finally, they came to a small, plain door.

He opened it, revealing a small room that was his home, at least on Coruscant. Simple couches sat in a grey sitting area. A door led to his untouched bed, just as he left it. Another door led to a small bedroom, one specifically meant for a Padawan. He showed Kiara to this room and stood in the doorway as she slowly sat down on her new bed.

"I have to take care of some things, why don't you get settled in and I'll be back later", Anakin said, backing away from her soft brown eyes that threatened to invoke his pity. Scowling when Kiara did not acknowledge him, he left swiftly to find Padme.

Kiara breathed a quiet sigh of relief as his stifling presence disappeared. She took a quick look at her surroundings, not really caring. It was not home, it was barely a place to rest her head. She lay back on the bed's soft surface but could not bring herself to close her eyes. After only a moment, she put on her Jedi robe and left.

Making sure the dark brown robe kept her face hidden, she made her way through the Jedi Temple. Kiara reached her usual dark corner and sat down, unseen except by the observant eyes of the Younglings.

"The Shadow's back!" was whispered from one child to another. One by one, the Younglings approached their mysterious friend. They told her of their struggles and weaknesses in their Jedi training. Kiara whispered words of encouragement and advice in a gentle and seldom used voice. When the last Youngling had received her advice, the children pressed even closer around the Shadow and sat down.

"Sing for us, Shadow" a little Twi'lek girl pleaded. Kiara sighed. Quietly, she began to sing the sweet lullaby that she had heard on Tatooine.

When I see your smile
Tears run down my face
I can't replace
And now that I'm strong
I have figured out
How this world turns cold
and it breaks through my soul
And I know I'll find
deep inside me
I can be the one

I will never let you fall
I'll stand up with you forever
I'll be there for you through it all
Even if saving you sends me to heaven

It's okay. It's okay. It's okay.
Seasons are changing
And waves are crashing
And stars are falling all for us
Days grow longer and nights grow shorter
I can show you I'll be the one

I will never let you fall
I'll stand up with you forever
I'll be there for you through it all
Even if saving you sends me to heaven

As she sang, she wished for a guardian angel like in the song. But she knew no one would care for her enough.

Anakin strode into Padme's chambers. Strangely, his heart did not skip a beat like usual when he saw his beloved Senator. She was busily preparing a speech and looked up at him with a frown.

"You shouldn't be here, Anakin". She said. Anakin felt his smile disappear.

"I missed you". He said simply, wanting desperately to take her in his arms and kiss her frown away.

"You can't be here". She shot back. His hurt and anger grew.

"You refused me on Naboo when I asked you to marry me and now I can't even see you? You know how much I love you, Padme. Why won't you say yes?". He implored her, coming just a hairs breath away.

"I do love you, Anakin. It's just not right, I can't! I have my duties, as do you! We can't be together!" She almost shouted at him.

Anakin backed away, unused to seeing her angry. Padme seemed oblivious to his pain as she continued to rant on about duties and responsibilities. The aching in his heart grew stronger until he almost could not breathe. Without saying another word, he stormed out of the room. Caught up in his anger, he missed Padme's sad smile.

He headed to the Jedi Temple. The place had been close to a home for him for many years.

As he passed on of the Youngling training rooms, he heard a soft lullaby. The voice was unmistakably female and it was the sweetest, most pure voice he had ever heard.

Almost as if drawn by the melody, Anakin stood in the doorway and felt his pain and anger melt away. The darkness partially concealed his presence.

Inside the room, a group of Younglings were gathered around a hooded figure. The song ended in a last wavering note and the children wandered off to bed, oblivious to his presence. Anakin stood frozen from the haunting beauty of the song.

The shadowy figure looked toward him, noticing Anakin for the first time. Without a second glance, the owner of the sweet voice turned and ran, vanishing into the night. Anakin let her go.

Some time later, Anakin cautiously poked his head into Kiara's room. He found her curled up on the bed, fast asleep. She had kicked the blanket to the edge of the small bed and her scarred arms were hugging her pillow. He used the opportunity to take a good look at the scars, wondering who would be evil enough to hurt her like that.

With one last glance at Kiara's peaceful face, he pulled the blanket over her small form and left the room.

I FINALLY UPDATED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me what you think :D