Dreams and Realizations

Two men fought admist a red sea of fire. It was easy to tell, the fight was light versus dark; Jedi versus Sith. She recognized both men, but in her dream the names would not come to mind.

Kiara could feel that this fight was profoundly wrong. Then she realized that the dark man fought with a blue lightsaber instead of the red used by Siths. She was looking at a fallen Jedi!

As if he heard her thoughts, the dark man turned towards her and Kiara gasped as she looked into his angry, yellow eyes.

"Time to wake up, sleepyhead" A deep voice cut into her dream. She shot up and away from the hands that were shaking her awake.

"I didn't mean to scare you" Anakin said, looking worried over her fearful reaction to his touch. Kiara just rubbed her eyes sleepily, the tension leaving her body.

"We've been ordered to protect Senator Amidala. There's been another attempt on her life." Anakin's calm voice betrayed none of his true feelings.

Fear was not the way of the Jedi, the lesson had been drilled into him. Still, he could not resist asking Obi-Wan and the Masters to protect this particular endangered Senator. Kiara had provided a simple excuse to stay on Coruscant longer. It promised to be a relatively standard mission for a new Padawan.

Kiara had no reaction to the news except to rise and grab her robe and follow her Master out the gray door.

They arrived at Senator Amidala's apartment right on time.

Padme was more distraught then Anakin had ever seen her. She was rushing around and shouting orders at her handmaiden and guards alike.

She didn't acknowledge Anakin's prescence until he caught her hand and led her over to the sofa. He and Kiara both stood quietly until she had composed herself, Kiara standing slightly behind her Master.

When Padme looked calmer, Anakin spoke.

"Senator Amidala, I will be leaving immediatly to find the person responsible for this"

As soon as he said "leaving" Padme became panicked.

"You can't leave me! What if they try to kill me again? I need you!" she said frantically.

"I must find whoever did this before he tries again. Kiara, my Padawan, will stay and protect you until the guilty person has been found" Anakin said, trying to assuage her fears while inwardly reeling in shock over her behavoir.

This terrified and frantic woman was not the brave and courageous senator and former queen that he had known.

"She can't protect me! Look at her! She is only a Padawan!"

"I was only a Padawan when I protected you" Anakin said calmly, glancing at Kiara but seeing no emotions showing on her face as Padme continued to insult her.

"You were different! You were stronge with the Force! For goodness sakes you were almost a Knight! Look how small she is! I am probably stronger than her! Please Anakin don't leave me!" Padme shouted and grabbed Anakin's arm.

Kiara raised an eyebrow. A gentle but firm force lifted Padme off the ground and placed her back on the sofa. Anakin shot Kiara a questioning look, but she only gazed back innocently. The look was ruined by a tiny smile.

He would have laughed if he wasn't so confused over Padme's strange behavoir.

Padme was still sputtering about Kiara's inadequecy.

"I trust her'' Anakin said simply. Padme opened her mouth to protest again, but Anakin merely repeated " I trust her" again, silencing Padme.

With a repectfull nod at the anxious senator and the woman he loved and a reassuring pat on Kiara's shoulder, Anakin was gone.

Senator and Padawan were left to stare at each other in silence.