Coming Clean

Charlie puts an arm around me, kissing my forehead. I bury my face in his bare chest, wrapping myself around him. I want to be as close to him as possible.

"I'm right here," he murmurs, almost to himself. "I ain't goin' nowhere..."

I keep thinking about what he said, and how Matt seems to dislike him so much, even though they've never had any sort of interaction. Then, it hits me.

"It's my fault..." I say, sitting up.

"What? Naw, no, BabyGirl." Dashie says. "You can't blame yourself for this. How could it possibly be your fault?"

"It is," I reply, a wave of fear rolling through my body. "I've been talking to the guy from the Hibachi place. He kept asking me all these questions about you. He's dropped me off here once. I led him to you. I'm so sorry, Dash. I'm so stupid! I didn't mean to—"

Dashie presses his lips to mine.

My body stiffens in shock for a moment, then relaxes as I kiss him back.

OhmyGod, OhmyGod, OhmyGod!!

My heart is thumping like a bass drum.
We break apart, and he brushes his thumb against my cheek.

"Sorry, BabyGirl. I've wanted to do that for a while now." he grins, sheepishly.

"But, I thought you didn't see me romantically. You said you saw yourself as, like, a big brother." I say, as he takes my hands.

He gives me an embarrassed smile. "I kinda tried to fight my feelings for you."

"Why?"

He takes a deep breath, then slowly releases it. "Because I didn't want to end up falling in love with you. I didn't want to end up ruining our friendship. But, I realized when that Hibachi-Bitch-Ass-Bitch was flirting with you, it bothered me. I realized that I wouldn't be able to put up a front and act like I was happy for you if you came around with someone else. And no matter how hard I fought, I still ended up falling for you. So, I give up. I ain't fighting anymore."