Chapter One: A Princess is Born

            Book One: Verse I

          "Friendship needs no 

     symbols or vows to make it

        whole. It's just a sacred  

        covenant that's locked

             within the soul."

     Walking down the streets of New York is very enjoying. Just savoring the view of the Empire State building is enough to fill the senses with awe and wonder. Pauline always takes her time to do such before she enters her office and once again gets drowned by the numerous clients.

     She currently works as an accountant in a huge firm. Everyday, same office, same papers, same faces, same pressure. Come to think of it, she's getting kinda bored from all the corporate works. That's why she decided to apply part time in her bestfriend's Wedding Planning business.

     She had always been keen on decorating spaces or designing anything and everything in her hands. She just lets her imagination take over and see the results. And, no matter how much she refused to admit it, she had always been secretly in to romance and anything related to it. Although most times, she goes for the tragic ones.

     She finally reached Lisa's wedding planning establishment. Forever After, the huge sign said. Pauline twitched her lips, her morbid self taking over the romantic part. As if 'forever' really exists.

     She peered through the glass door to see if Lisa's busy with some clients. Maybe she could come back some other time. Maybe she wouldn't have to go to the torture of seeing happy couples planning for their wedding. Maybe, just maybe....

     But her hopes were shattered when she caught sight of Lisa. Lisa was busy, yes. Not because she's talking to clients, but because of arranging flowers. Lisa turned around and saw Pauline. She marched towards the door and opened it.

"Hey, you made it," Lisa greeted cheerfully.

"Yeah, I did." Pauline shrugged.

"Come, come in. Let me show you around."

     Pauline rolled her eyes as she followed Lisa. They have been friends since college and she had memorized this place already. Lisa had always been eager about her business and while touring, she would always blab about how her dream wedding should be and the arrangments of the decors and what foods in the reception would be and yada, yada, yada...

     Paulined turned deaf ears and kept herself occupied by looking at the display of sample give aways and flower arrangements. Pauline wondered, how would I want my wedding to be? Would I ever be married? I want to be married....

"Pauline," Lisa said, which caused Pauline to snap back to reality. "What do you think?"

     Lisa's eyes were sparkling.

"Great! Perfect! Brava! You should definitely go for it."

     Lisa smiled and hugged Pauline.

"Thank you. You're really my friend!"

     Pauline doesn't even what the hell Lisa was so happy about and what she just said, but it definitely made her happy, and she's glad that she did.

"Come then," Lisa said, pulling towards the racks of bridal gowns. She hastily picked three gowns and threw it to Pauline.

"Try it on. Go, go, go!!!!"

     Pauline had no time to protest since Lisa shoved her into the fitting room and locked her in.

"Try it all on one by one, then let me see it."

     Pauline did as she told, a little confused. Who knew fitting gowns can be so difficult? She had to bend, flex, and duck just to fit.

     She came out with the first gown. It was pristine white balloon strapless gown with glittery details. Lisa made her turn around to criticize the gown fully before sending her in to try another.

     The second was a pale peach floor-length gown with transparent sleeves that were patterned intricately. Lisa shook her head.

     The third and last one was a pink assymetrical gown that showed a bit of cleavage and hugged her hips sexily showing off her curves. The bottom half of the gown was tierred intricately.

     Lisa gasped. Pauline smiled.

"You look like a princess, Pauline! It suits you perfectly! Sean would be very grateful of me."

     Pauline's smile vanished.

"Who's Sean?"

"What 'who's Sean'? Just because you're already wearing the gown doesn't mean you'll forget our deal. You're never going to take it home unless you go to the wedding."

"Wait, what?! What wedding? We had a deal?"

"What? You forgot it already? You told me it was 'great','perfect','brava' and that 'I should definitely go for it', remember?"

"Oh, what was it you're saying again?"

"I told you that my brother's friend Sean is in desperate need of a bride. Their mother had already been nagging him to get married. If not, he's not going to get his inheritance. So, I asked you if you could play the role of the bride. It's just a staged wedding."

"Wait," Pauline raised her hands up." Wait, wait, wait. Uhm... Let me think. No! Sorry, Lisa, I just can't," she said, turning around and taking off the gown.

"What?! You already agreed."

     Lisa came after her.

"It's too much, Lisa. I don't think I can."

"Pauline,"

"I said no."

     Lisa pulled Pauline and made Pauline face her.

"Please. I thought we're friends."

"We are. But it's too much of a lie. It's a big, fat, hairy lie. I don't want to get involved in that. I don't even know the guy."

"Please, Pauline. My friend Rob has huge investment in my business. He helped start out, all right? He has asked me one thing, just one thing, and that is to find a fake bride for his brother, Sean. He can make or break me, Pauline."

"Then why don't you go play bride instead?"

"Uhh... his mother knows me. And she perfectly knows that me and Sean can't stand each other. She just went yesterday and I already told her that my friend's his fiancé. Please. I won't ask you anything again. Ever."

     Lisa pleaded, her watery eyes demanding compassion. Pauline snorted and groaned.

"Fine! Fine! Just...make sure he doesn't look like a monster, OK?"

"Ohhhh, thank you!" Lisa shouted and threw a bearhug to Pauline. "You'll never regret it. Plus, you keep the gown, the ring, and the shoes."