•thirteen•

Ara loved Christmas. The food, the lights, the snow, and the general joyful feeling. At Beauxbatons, the girls practiced making turkeys and learning stupid dances and wrapping presents. Christmas would be different this year. Sirius had invited her, Lily, Remus, James, and Peter to stay at his house over the break. She also had Slughorn's party to look froward to.

James had been trying to convince Remus to ask Ara to the party for weeks.

"Remus, come on. She obviously likes you. What're you worried about?" he questioned.

"It could ruin our friendship."

"I'm not saying you have to date, it's just a party."

"I'm not gonna ask her, okay? I'll hang out with her there."

"Someone else will ask her. All of the boys are already drooling over her."

Remus stiffened with jealousy, "So? If she wants to go with them what's stopping her?"

James sighed in pure frustration, "What's with you? She's just a girl!"

"She's not just a girl! Look, I, I like her, alright?"

"I know!"

"Ara's different," Remus sighed, running a hand through his hair, "I feel like I've known her for years."

"Then what's the problem?"

"I don't want her to get attached to me."

"Oh yea, hot stuff?" James smirked.

"I didn't mean it like that. I don't want to hurt her."

"Moony, you're not marrying her. You're simply asking her to the party. As friends, even."

"Maybe if I get an opportunity."

"Oh, I'll make sure you will."

-----

At the next Slug Club dinner party, James found Remus an opportunity. Slughorn was answering questions about the Christmas party.

James raised his hand, "Can we ask someone to come, like a date?"

"I don't see why not," Slughorn responded, color rising to his cheeks. "You could even invite someone who's not in the club if you wish."

James caught Remus' eye and winked. Lupin waited until Slughorn was focused elsewhere before turning to Ara.

"So, um, Ara..."

"Yes?"

"Have you asked anyone to the party?"

Ara shook her head, "Have you?"

"Uh, no."

Remus took an awkward sip from his drink.

Ara's heart beat furiously. He wanted to ask her! She noticed James trying to catch Remus' attention from the other side of the table. She nudged him and motioned towards James.