•seventeen•

A/N: So this is a double update because I originally wanted this part to be in chapter 17, but I was too tired to write it. Anywayyy this chapter is VERY different for me and it would mean the WORLD if you could give me some feedback (what you liked and what I could do better). I don't really know what you guys will think of this chapter so let me know!

~~~~~

Ara went to her first Legilimency class with little enthusiasm. Her first lesson was with Trelawney, who had given Ara a very large collection of books on the art.

The professor was already waiting at the top of the ladder when Ara arrived at the classroom.

"Ara," she nodded, "So glad you could make it."

"Of course," Ara mumbled.

Sybill led her through the door and Ara was again surprised with an unexpected guest.

"Remus?"

"Hey," he waved nervously.

"To start, I wanted you to practice on someone you're close to. I talked to Ms. Evans, who would've been an alright subject, but is very scatter brained which makes it even more difficult to read the mind, so she suggested Remus, who has willingly agreed." Trelawney explained. (A/N: oml that was such a run-on sentence oh whale)

"Oh, um, alright."

Trelawney had Ara sit directly across from Remus, the only thing between them was the wooden desk.

"Ara, can you tell me what Remus had for breakfast?"

"Toast with strawberry jam," she answered almost instantly.

Remus nodded in confirmation.

"Very good. Before I try to teach you anything, I would like to see what you are already capable of. I will ask you a series of questions, each increasingly more difficult."

Ara nodded in consent.

"How many cousins does Mr. Lupin have?"

"Three."

"Last time he visited his grandparents?"

"Five months ago."

"Could you please be more specific?"

"August, he doesn't remember the exact day."

This went on for some time and Ara began to get bored. Trelawney asked a question, Remus thought of the answer, and Ara told her. It was easy and felt useless.

"I'm very impressed Ms. Jones, you're able to pick up on things that most natural born Legilimens can't. Now, as you might have read the art of Legilimency is to discover the minds layers, to scavenge the brain for thoughts and pieces, to interpret a being."

Ara could tell this frightened Remus, and she knew why. Trelawney didn't know he was a werewolf, and that was certainly what Ara would find in his "mind layers."

"All I want you to do is focus on Mr. Lupin's thoughts. One thought should lead to another, and soon you'll be deep in his mind."

The professor sounded way too excited for something so violating.

"I don't know Professor, shouldn't Remus' thoughts stay private?" Ara inquired.

"Well you certainly don't have to tell them to me."

"No, I mean, do I have a right to read them?"

Remus spoke up, "It's alright Ara, there's not much you don't already know about me."

She knew that Remus thought that he'd be able to hide any information he didn't want her knowing. It wasn't like that, he couldn't mask his thoughts when she was reading his mind. He couldn't hide things like he did with everyone else.

"You don't have to," she whispered.

"If this is going to help you then I want to," he persisted.

Why did he have to be so gosh darn perfect?

"Anytime now, Ms. Jones."

Ara took a deep breath and looked into Remus' brown eyes. He was worried, so she focused on that worry. He was like an open book, the worry was about her finding out too much. The locks on the thoughts he was trying to conceal easily came undone, and soon she wasn't in her own head, she was in Remus'. Everything came at her at once, she couldn't process it all.

Reading the book she had given him.

Trying to solve a riddle James had told him.

Spells for the Marauders Map.

She closed her eyes and sorted the information and realized this was just the surface. She dove deeper.

The next "layer" was mostly opinions about people.

Couldn't James be a little less arrogant?

Why did Peter follow them around?

Sirius is such a good friend, I don't know where I'd be without him.

Ara stayed away from the opinions about her, although she was extremely curious.

The farther she went the more personal it became. It was only when she unlocked a very well protected series of feelings that she began to lose control.

The remembrance of painful nights locked away in the Shrieking Shack.

The terrible worry of hurting someone he loved. This worry hung over him like a great black curtain.

The fear of not being accepted, of being hated.

The burden of hiding so much.

The helplessness of it all.

It was like a car crash, so terrible that Ara couldn't look away.

The feelings of utter and complete sadness consumed him, and soon it was consuming her. She tried to pull away, to break the connection, but she couldn't.

Help, she screamed in her head, I can't take it.

Maybe she was screaming out loud, because somehow Trelawney broke the bond and pulled Ara out from the black hole of thoughts she was drowning in.

Ara put her head in her arms and sobbed.

How did he live with it? Ten seconds of just reading him had suffocated her.

She felt light headed all of the sudden. The exhaustion of what she had just experienced overwhelmed her. Everything went black.

~~~~~

A/N: PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK BC IDEK IT FEELS SO DARK AND I JUST I DONT KNOW IF I LIKE IT OR NOT SO PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK

THANKS FOR READING! (: