•twenty-six•

Ara's life was busy to say the least.

N.E.W.T.s were only a couple months away and the amount Ara and her friends had been studying didn't leave much time for other things.

Except worry. Jones had been constantly worried. About N.E.W.T.s, about Mary, and especially about her outburst at Slughorn's dinner party.

She wasn't stupid, she had heard the whispers and noticed the glares in the hallways. The Slytherins either viewed her with admiration or loathing. Ravenclaws had been busily trying to figure out the spells she had used, little did they know she was a Legilimens. Hufflepuffs even sent her sour glances, some even seemed scared.

As for her own housemates, most didn't act differently. Some gossiped for the sake of discussing drama, but most let it go.

Ara's loyal friends stood up for her whenever there was a chance.

James and Sirius would bark at anyone who dared make a rude remark.

Peter followed suit, returning the icy stares that came her way.

Lily and Mary comforted Ara, assuring her that her attacker's opinions didn't matter.

But the most defensive of her friend group was Remus. He went right up to gossipers and told them to leave it alone. He told the students who stared to mind their own business and walked Ara to every class. He always kept a protective arm around her or tightly held her hand.

For Remus was the only one who truly understood what she was going through. His anger went further than the need to care for his girlfriend. He knew that if people found out he was a werewolf they would respond the same way.

Ara found a different way of coping. She ventured through the next few weeks in a sort of trance. Her mind absentmindedly memorizing endless amounts of information from her notes and textbooks. Walking through the halls solely focused on getting to her next class. She was drowning in the waters of her own fear.

Her friends noticed this of course and were unsure how to save her. They figured things would get better after testing, by then students would have probably forgotten about the incident.

On a sunny afternoon about two weeks before N.E.W.T.s, Lily interrupted Ara's studying to force her to go to the last quidditch game.

"But Lily I've still got so much to review. I'm only on the Reducto spell in the Defense book and I couldn't remember the conjugations for the Latin runes if my life depended on it," Ara argued.

"I promise I'll help you study later. It's the last game! And Gryffindor has a good chance of winning. Plus, Remus could easily help you with Ancient Runes after the game. Even he's going and he's built a wall of books around himself as well."

Ara had stopped listening. She was scribbling down the wand motions for a certain spell, whispering the words as she wrote them down.

"Alright Jones, it's time for an intervention."

Lily pulled the book from under Ara's parchment and snapped it shut.

"Lily, please," Ara begged.

"You've been ignoring us all week. I understand what's been going on but you can't shut us out. Remus has been trying to talk to you all week. Just come to this last game and then we won't bother you until after the tests, okay?"

Ara reluctantly nodded and let her best friend drag her down to the pitch.

"I see Lily was able to pull you from your books," Remus observed.

She smiled, "Couldn't miss our last game!"

Remus took a burgundy and gold flower from the decorations around the stands and tucked it behind her ear.