4 - Team

Five people stand in the middle of the circle, discussing something. I know I shouldn't try my luck and talk to them, but I feel like I have to talk to someone who's a little bit closer to reality than the other people I've "met" this far.

My feet turn and walk down the gravel yard almost by themselves. When the five people see me coming toward them, they stop talking and turn to look at me.

"Excuse me, do you know which is the fastest way to the nearest town?" I shout loud enough for them to hear me from the distance. Since they're so many, I won't take the chance to walk to close to them.

"Who're you?" a tall, big guy asks me, instead of answering my question. They've all walked out of the circle now. They're standing in front of the dark green car in the front. Four men and a woman.

The big guy has crossed his arms, waiting for my answer. The woman beside him gives me a look of doubt, like I'm not worth more than the small stones under our feet. She looks about my age.

One of the guys is leaning against the car behind them. He looks a bit uncomfortable with me being here. He looks away after a while.

The other two look very alike. They must be brothers.

"What's that have to do with you?" I ask back. I feel like this is a conversation with questions to the questions.

"We don't often see other people up here," one of the brothers say. His hair is middle length, and he has his hands in his pockets, leaning slightly backwards.

"Well, I'm here now, and I have no idea where I am, so if someone could be so kind to tell me wich way to go to get to the nearest town?" I'm getting pretty tired of all this. The big guy speaks.

"The nearest town is about 20 miles that way," he pointed in the way I was heading before, "it'll take a day if you walk. Do you have a car?"

"Well, I..." I didn't have to explain any more because I see Sarin coming down the road toward us.

With a smooth break, the car stops next to me, it's headlights on the others.

"Yes, I have a car," I sigh.

"I've never seen a car like that before," the guy, who's been so quiet until now suddenly speaks. He looks really interested in the car.

"Yeah, I thought the same when I first saw it," I say.

"How did you get it?" says the other brother.

"Yeah, it's..." I start, " it's a long story. They used to call it Sarin, I'm Sandra Ridley." The woman raises an eyebrow.

"Alright," says the big guy, "I'm Dyer, she's Rebecka Carter, that's Jed and those two are the brothers: Russell and CJ." The brother with his hands in his pockets, CJ, nods my way.

"You can follow us to our place," he says, "I assume you need a place to stay."

It sounds a bit risky at first, but on the other hand, I really should get some real sleep. My back and my head still hurt.

"Okay," I nod, "We'll follow you." I realized afterwards that I had said 'we' without even thinking about it. I get into the car and wait for the five others to drive past us.

I must be able to drive, because I drive like I've done it my whole life.

This time, it's just a little different. I don't have to accelerate as much. Sarin accelerates by itself.

After a while we reach the highway. We don't see many cars, we only pass a few.

Sarin accelerates even more and we get closer to the orange car in front of us, CJ.

I break but it's like Sarin really wants to get some speed. I can feel the speed somewhat healing.

I decide to overtake the car in front of us and we pass CJ in a heartbeat. I can see him getting closer to us from behind and he's soon passed us again.

I can see him smiling next to me just before he passes us.

Suddenly, Sarin almost takes a leap forward, it's like it's really into this.

And I am too.

We race past him again in great speed and continue past the dark green car, which seems to be Jed.

The others seem to realize our little competition and start to change lanes.

We race past Rebecka in her black car and I can see her surprised look when we pass her.

I see Russell's light blue car and Dyer's light brown car in front of us.

Suddenly, something green flies past us and Sarin takes up the game immediately.

"I don't think so," I say as we drive after Jed.

In the middle of this I get a feeling. Like I'm having fun for the first time in years.