6 - Invitation

The others are all outside by now. Jed walks back inside. He hasn't had a chance to go inside yet, since he's been helping me.

Russell tries to handle a loudspeaker just bellow the stairs, while his brother CJ laughs at him from where he's sitting on a chair by the table in the grass.

Rebecka Carter seems to have a wild conversation with Dyer a bit further away. Like she's trying to convince him about something, but he won't listen.

She looks kind of upset. I shouldn't interfere. I walk to the table where CJ's sitting.

"Hey, Sandra", he says when he sees me coming, "welcome to The Backyard". He says it like there's something really special with it. Maybe there is.

I sit down next to him. Finally, Russell manages to figure out the loudspeaker and music breaks out of it.

"Nicelly done, Bro!" CJ shouts to his brother and laughs again.

"I know!" he shouts back and walks toward us, "that thing only had a manual in chinese and 28 different cables to get right".

"The perfect challenge for my genius brother", CJ says like he's holding a speech.

Not soon after Russell sits down with us, I see Jed coming back outside. He's changed his clothes and he's probably taken a shower because his short hair is still wet.

"Jed, old friend! Come and have a drink", CJ greets him and Jed answers with a nod.

When Dyer sees us all sitting by the table, he finishes his conversation with Rebecka and walks up to the table. Rebecka follows him unwillingly.

When they sit down, she shoots me a glare like she would kill me next time she saw me. I ignore her. So, she doesn't like me. So what?

"I propose a toast", says Dyer and raises his glass, "to our new future team member, Sandra Ridley".

We all raise our glasses, except Rebecka.

This team, I've understood that it's about cars and racing, but do I really want to join? How should I know?

After some light talk about their races and cars and other stuff going on, Russell suddenly turns to me.

"So, Sandra", he says, "how come you ended up in the woods in the middle of nowhere?" I'm a bit startled by the sudden question.

"Yeah, you can't be from around here", CJ jumps into the conversation, "since you've never heard about this place". He points to the house and area around it with his hand.

I don't want to lie to them. But, I can't bring myself to tell them what had happened. It sounded too crazy.

"Well, I am new around here I guess", I say not knowing really what to say, "I was looking for a place to stay and got lost".

"You can stay here for how long you want", Dyer says, "we'd be glad if you decided to stay for a while". I smile at the kind words.

"Thanks, I think I will stay for a while".

"Yeah! Finally someone new in the house", CJ shouts. His brother approves with him and Dyer tells me I'm very welcome. Rebecka just sits there, clearly showing her disapproval.

I glance at Jed, who smiles his usual faint but kind smile. I smile back, and I keep smiling the rest of the night.

The next morning, I wake up in the room I got yesterday. For the first time, I feel like I've slept good. I sit up in the bed and stretch.

My arms feel a little better now compared to yesterday. I look out through the window. My view is amazing. I can see the whole backyard and the ocean spreading behind it, from below the cliff.