Magi Chapter 1

Hayako Suzuhara put another box of antiques on the shelf. She worked in an antiques shop. The owner currently had an excess of goods and thus had charged Hayako with moving the excess into storage. Suddenly, a box of vases began to fall.

It was stopped by an invisible platform that had formed beneath it, made of mana. Mana was an invisible matter or energy produced by living thing. It could be manipulated by powerful individuals known as magi. 

Magi had appeared after an unknown event known as the Magus Event, which had killed half the world's human population. After this event magi began to be born. The Magus Event had occurred thirty-five years ago. Hayako was a 17 year old Japanese girl. In addition to the ability to manipulate mana, magi possessed general superhuman abilities. Most magi stuck primarily to using their own mana, but Hayako was adept at using ambient mana.

Hayako gently placed the box back on its shelf, making sure it wouldn't fall again. Hayako then heard the bell at the front door ringing and went back into the main room.

"Welcome," she said, "we're about to close, but don't feel rushed."

The woman who had walked in scowled the moment she set eyes on Hayako. Her eyes lingered on Hayako's long, silver hair.

"Is there anyone else working right now?" asked the woman.

"No, but if there's a problem with me, I can get the owner." Said Hayako

"No..., it's fine. I'm here for an antique clock."

"Well then, please follow me and I'll show you our selection."

Hayako helped the woman pick out an old grandfather clock. She then left the shop.

"Thanks for the help, Suzuhara," said the owner.

"No problem, see you tomorrow," said Hayako.

Hayako went home. She was late because of the woman's ate entrance, but her family didn't mind. They never did. Hayako doubted they would be bothered if she didn't come home at all. They had always resented her as a magus.

"I'm home," announced Hayako.

"Welcome home," said Hayako's mother, "dinner is on the table."

Hayako ate her dinner, a bowl of beef udon. She liked udon and beef. It was good.

The next day, Hayako met her friend Suzuku Asakawa at the front gate of their school.

"Hey, Hayako," said Suzuku, "I have to pick up my little sister after school. Would you mind coming with me?"

"Sure," said Hayako.

The two then headed to homeroom. They were in the same class.

They had a test in math. Hayako sped through it easily. She found the questions to be simple, much easier than the homework.

After school, Hayako and Suzuku headed to the school of Suzuku's younger sister.

"That math test was tough, huh?" said Suzuku.

"I didn't really think so," said Hayako.

"Well of course it isn't tough for you."

Hayako was a child prodigy. She rarely struggled in school, and Suzuku knew it.