Chapter 6

As I ran to Junk N' Stuff after receiving an emergency phone call from Ray, I tried to prepare myself for the worst. While I'm going to try my best to avoid any and all interaction with he-who-shall-not-be-named, the inevitable tension in the room would be sure to give away to Ray that something was up.

Oh, and the emergency, too. I hope nothing too bad is going on.

Just as I was stepping into the elevator, he stepped into Junk N' Stuff.

I could tell he had been running by the way he was out of breath. I smiled to myself, knowing how much he cared about his job. When he noticed me in the elevator, his eyes lit up.

"Char, wait!"

I quickly pressed the button for the elevator to go down.

I leaned against the wall of the elevator, bracing myself for the crazy ride down.

I never thought I'd hear him call me that nickname again.

The elevator doors opened when I reached the Man Cave. Gooch, Ray, and Schwoz were all frantically pacing around, and the monitors were all beeping red.

"Finally!" Ray exclaimed. "Now where's my sidekick?!"

As if on cue, Henry came out of the elevator. He ran his hand through his hair in an attempt to fix it, with no luck.

I bit the inside of my cheek to prevent from smiling.

"There you are!" Ray said. "Now hurry up, blow your bubble!"

"What's going on?" Henry asked while pulling out his tube of bubblegum.

"Dr. Minyak is back," Gooch said. Then he nudged Schwoz and chuckled. "Ha, Dr. Minyak is back, that rhymes-"

"Will you just get to the story?!" Ray yelled.

"Right," Gooch started. "Dr. Minyak and Nurse Cohort have created a new device that can send anyone out with a shock of energy by the press of a button."

"Okay," Henry started. "We have stuff like that, too."

"But it gets worse!" Schwoz exclaimed. "They plan to cut the power from the entire city of Swellview! Here, just watch the video."

Henry and Ray gathered by the monitors. I propped up onto the couch, deciding to watch from here rather than next to him.

"Come, Charlotte," Schwoz called me.

"No, it's okay, I'm good from here-"

"Come on!" Schwoz interrupted me. He took hold of my arm and dragged me to the monitors. Of course, I ended up standing right next to Henry. I shuffled awkwardly, avoiding eye contact with him.

"Ah, hello Captain Man and Kid Danger," Dr. Minyak spoke evilly.

"What's that, Dr. Minyak?" Nurse Cohort pretended to ask.

"Oh, this old thing?" Dr. Minyak responded sarcastically. I rolled my eyes at the ridiculous show they were trying to put on. I heard Henry chuckle.

"Just my new industrial shockwave shooter," Dr. Minyak continued. "What am I going to do with it you ask, Captain Man?" Ray scoffed.

"I am going to wipe the power from Swellview! Then, using this, I will send a shockwave to the entire city, electrifying anyone and anything that the wave encounters! You'll never stop me!" Then, the video ended. My eyes widened. Electrify everyone in Swellview?

"Charlotte," Ray spoke, interrupting my thoughts. "I'm really sorry to have to put this on you, but we need you to come with us on this mission."

"What? Why me?" I asked.

"We have created a plan," Gooch started. "While Ray and Henry distract Dr. Minyak and Nurse Cohort, you could go in sneakily and disengage the shockwave shooter by hacking into the control system." I wiped the sweat forming on my palms onto my pants, worry beginning to take over me.

"After that, you can use this-" Schwoz handed me a remote with a big, blue button on it. "-to cut the power fron Dr. Minyak's headquarters completely and destroy their machine. This is a self-destruct button. You can connect the wires from the remote to their control system. If you do it correctly, all power over the system should go to the remote. Then, just click the button. Be sure to get out of there within ten seconds of pressing that button, or you guys could go boom-boom," Schwoz explained.

"So basically, if I don't do all of this correctly and without getting caught, we'll die," I said. They all nodded.

I started pacing around the room and grasping my forehead, knowing I was about to have a panic attack. Deep breaths, I thought to myself.

Ray came over and rubbed my back.
"I'm sorry to have to put this on you so suddenly, Charlotte," Ray said softly. "The last thing I want to do is put you at risk. But we need you, Charlotte." I nodded.

"It's okay," I spoke. "But what if a situation were to occur where I need to defend myself? I don't have a weapon or anything, and I definitely couldn't fight if my life depended on it."

"Take my watch," Henry said to me, taking off his. His words surprised me. That was the first time he spoke to me since the fight. He held the watch out to me, and I looked away.

"I don't want your watch," I said sternly. He sighed. Then, he took hold of my wrist and strapped the watch onto me himself.

"Hey!" I exclaimed while yanking my wrist away, ignoring the warmth from his touch that sent sparks up my arm.

"Good idea, Henry!" Ray said. "Just press it to zap someone."

"Yeah, yeah, I know how it works," I said, annoyed. Henry chuckled.

"Is something funny?" I asked even more annoyed.

"You're cute when you're mad." My face went red. He coughed. Did he really just say that?

"Alright, ready guys?" Ray asked. We nodded.
"Charlotte, get in the tube with Henry. I'm sure you can fit." Great. I rolled my eyes for probably the millionth time.

Henry held his left arm out for me to go underneath. Unwillingly, I went onto the platform under the tube where he was, crossing my arms. He wrapped his left arm around me just so we could fit, and definitely not because he wanted to.

At least, that's what I told myself before I felt his hand rub my shoulder.

Again, I ignored the feeling of my quickening heartbeat as if it was beating throughout my entire body.

"Listen, Char," he whispered. "I'm really sor-"

"Save it," I harshly interrupted him. He sighed. As much as I wanted to forgive him, I wanted him to know how much his words had hurt me. It was going to take a lot more than "I'm sorry" to fix this.

"Up the tube!" He and Ray yelled. I wrapped an arm around his waist involuntarily to steady myself. Still, I missed being able to hug my best friend.

I shook my head, trying to focus on the mission.

It was going to be a long night.

****************************************************************************************

Finally, some real Henry Danger action! And Henry and Charlotte on a mission together? Yikes. xD How do you think Charlotte's going to do on her first mission? Special thanks to Chenrylover104 and accchuck7 for leaving wonderful comments! Made my day :D Thanks for reading! Updating soon :)