Redefining Love

A lean young man in his 20's entered the basketball court of st.Louis college. Wearing a grey t-shirt carrying a black bag, he walked to the corner where he dumped his bag and sat down to take out a pair of skates. Putting them on, lost in deep thought, he stood up and skated once around the court and stood in the middle.

*Flashback*

"Pappa mein college ja raha hoon...thodi der hoga, so aap please wait mat kijiye" he told his dad who was talking to Sharon. No surprise there, his dad admired her more than him, her attitude was what held his admiration for her. "College? Kyun?" his dad asked. "Wo mein ACS hoon...so mujhe ek dho kaam baki hai, after the diwali fest." he replied and turned to leave. "Take Sharon along too" his dad said. "Huh? Sharon kyun?" he asked confused, looking at Sharon to see if it was one of her tricks to get back with him. "Sharon ko bhi kaam hai college mein" his dad replied, not letting him read her face. "Kaam?" he asked uncertainly. "Haan, GS hoon so kaam hai, report submit karni hai kal" she said. "What report?" he asked suspicious. "Wo uski kaam hai, just take her along with you" his dad said sternly. Swayam sighed. He should've seen this coming. Of course his dad knew it all. Their breakup, the attempts made by her, his discomfort, everything, yet he did not budge. "Par mein uske baad kahin aur jaa raha hoon" he said trying to make up excuses. "Par mein cycle mein jaa raha hoon" he whined. "Tumne kahi baar mujhe cycle mein drop kiya tha...." Sharon put in. His dad looked at him his eyebrows raised. "Sharon can come with you I'm sure" he said in a tone that was final. Having no choice, Swayam shrugged. Sharon's face lit up with a smile, she went to the door and held ot open for Swayam. Sighing heavily he went, with an expression of defeat. Shutting the door slightly behind him, he walked towards his....wait a minute...where was his cycle? And whose bike was that? He wondered. Hearing the door open he looked behind half hoping Sharon had gone in, but instead he saw his dad standing there. "Here catch" his dad said and threw something. On an intistinct he put his hand out and caught it, opening his palms he saw a key which looked like a bike's key. Gaping at his dad his eyes sought an explanation. "Meine socha ki its time you grow up. Aur haan don't worry your cycle is in a safe place, tumhari maa, aur sharon ne mujhe samjaya ki you're very attached to the bike for some odd reason. Mujhe abhi bhi lagta hai ki I should throw it away." his dad said thoughtfully. "No. Uncle. Please usse throw mat kijiye, bohot special hai wo bike" sharon said. "since you say, enjoy your bike" his dad said smirking to himself he went in and shut the door, locked it rather.

Swayam looked at Sharon who beamed back at him. "Ok, whatever, she only feels she is in love with you" he reminded himself and started the bike. After sensing no movement from Sharon, he looked at her "Aa rahi ho?" he asked. "Is it really ok?" she asked uncertainly, wondering whether he was uncomfortable. "I'm only gonna drop the GS of st. Louis to the college." he said in a tone which seemed more like he was convincing himself. For the slightest moment sharon looked hurt, then putting on a fake smile she sat on the bike holding onto Swayam as she did. Her touch still sent arcs of electricity through him, the feel of her hands were still magical to him, no matter what he may say or do, he still loved her with all his heart. "Let's go?" she asked him gently. "Hmmm? Oh yeah....just a minute" he said and inconspicuously arranged the rear mirror in such a way he could see her. And off they drove off. Zooming on his bike to the college. Sharon held onto him tightly, and to be honest it felt good to him. With her hair flying and her eyes shut, she looked as mesmerizing and cute as ever, so much that it hurt him. Suddenly the bike screeched to a stop, making sharon bang hard into Swayam. The poor guy, had never ever been banged into so hard, it almost bought tears to his eyes. "What the hell?!" Sharon mumbled into his back. Two people apparently a couple ran across holding hands, giggling. Sharon looked at Swayam, reminded of their walk on the road they fulfilled Swayam's second wish, the rain dance. He remembered it as well, how could he not? Choosing not to dwell on it for too long, he moved ahead slower this time. Sharon now held onto him by wrapping her arms his chest, where she could feel his heart beat unevenly as she drew closer to him. They crossed a speed breaker at a faster speed, and yet again Sharon fell on him, this time her lips brushed lightly against his neck, as she was jilted forward. His eyes widened in shock as he halted. Sharon blushed as she broke away from him. He could see it, red creeping into her cheeks. "Sorry" she mumbled. He just shrugged it off and went on with the journey. Silently they rode in a still and starry night. "Swayam" she said after sometime. "Hmmm?" he said. "meri jawab abh tak nahi mili mujhe...." she started. "Kya jawab?" he asked pretending to be confused. "Do you really hate me?" she asked again. By then they'd almost reached the college. Swayam didn't reply. Keeping his eyes on the road, he drove quietly, thinking of excuses on how to avoid this question. "Do you?" she asked again, a bit impatient. "Kyun pooch rahi ho ye sab?" he asked in return. "Kyunki mujhe jaani hai...." she said. "Kyun?" he asked again. "Kyunki I know ki meine tumhe bohot dard diya, I'm sorry for all of it, wo mein right frame of mind mein nahi Thi....i didn't know mein kya kar rahi Thi uss din...... par i promise Swayam, we'll stay together forever, i swear i love you Swayam," she said. Swayam had stopped. They'd reached the college. "Uttaro please, park karni hai" he said. Robotically she got off the bike and waited for him. They walked ahead to the college silently. "Swayam..." she began again. "Agar personal bbath karni hai hai, tho please...mujhe koi interest nahi hai." he cut her off and went ahead to complete his work. Sharon had no other option than to do hers.