Chapter 13

We were woke by the door knocking and the sound of our ‘holiday friends’ cheering for us to wake up.

“Come on you two love birds! The boat is leaving!”

“Shit,” I said sitting bolt up right, we had agreed to go on a booze cruise with the others. I shook James awake as I grabbed a towel and hurried to the door shoving our bags in the wardrobe out the way.

“About time!” Lauren said barging past. “Come on handsome up and at them,” she said tickling James feet. “He is out for the count what did you do to him?”

I shrugged. “We will be down in a minute, give us a few minutes to throw some clothes on and...”

“No way, you will end up staying in bed all day again...”

“Sounds good to me,” James murmured.

“Ahh ha, you are awake. Rise and shine, we have a boat to catch,” Lauren said slapping his backside cheekily.

“Noooo,” he groaned.

“Yesss, you promised. Now get your naked arse out of that bed before I come under those sheets and chase you out,” she threatened.

“I’m not naked and I am not afraid of you,” he said still not opening his eyes as his face refused to leave the pillow.

“We’ll see,” she said starting to lift the covers. “Oh you really aren’t naked.”

“His mum rang and I fell asleep,” I said pulling a sad face.

“Yeah so you own me, get back in this bed,” James mumbled.

“No the boat is leaving in 15 minutes. We have to get to the harbour,” Lauren said shoving me in the bathroom. “We will wait on the balcony whilst James gets his sexy ass out of bed.”

“It’s not happening,” he mumbled.

“Look we will go grab you some breakfast to eat on the boat and a drink. I know you are hungry, you are always hungry,” she said sizing up James.

“Orange juice please,” he replied.

“Yes, hurry!” she raced off with her hung over boyfriend tagging along and looking sea sick already.

I returned the bedroom to fetch my things.

“Please come back to bed,” James pleaded.

“No, we paid for it and we are going,” I said rushing back in the bathroom and managing to miss his poor attempt to grab my towel and drag me back to bed.

“I haven’t even had a morning kiss,” he moaned.

“That is because I know what it will lead to,” I replied with a grin.

“Don’t you trust me?”

“No, and I don’t trust myself either so please get dressed.”

“I want a ‘naked day’,” he yelled like a kid in a store.

“And I want sex on the beach, and I don’t mean the cocktail,” I replied.

“I’m up! Your wish is my command,” he said racing out of bed as I tried to brush my teeth through the laughter.

I walked out of the bathroom as he went in carrying his wash bag.

“Where’s my kiss?” he asked.

“No time, we can kiss on the boat,” I replied knowing one kiss would never be enough and he was even hotter with bed hair and boxers now he was my ‘boyfriend’ and I could officially perv.

I pulled on my bikini bottoms under my towel and fastened up the strapless bra, before pulling on a pair of shorts and T shirt. Tied my hair in a bun as it would only get blown around by the sea breeze and applied my mascara, lip balm and sun cream.  

My housesitter called so I answered the phone on the balcony.

“Some guy called and wants access to the house to fix the boiler. Shall I give it him?” Diane asked. She was a student at my University and happy to house sit so she could get her dissertation started without the noisy housemates.

“What guy?”

“Jim Cavendish I think he said.”

I looked back into the hotel room to see James pulling on a T Shirt. I nearly swooned off the bloody balcony as his freshly shaven face popped out the top. Oh my god that was my boyfriend... mine! I couldn’t wait for the ex to get an eye full of him. Eat shit and die you dirt bag!

“Mel...”

“Ooo sorry, yeah erm its my boyfriends company ,” I silently screamed with delight at using the ‘boyfriend’ word out loud and would happily have screamed it from the balcony so loud it would Tarzan call seem like a whisper.

“Your boyfriend?” she said puzzled.

“Yeah the one I’m on holiday with,” I said sounding blasé but knew that she had a friend who was currently working in my ex’s department so the gossip should be there within the hour.

“I didn’t know you had a boyfriend,” she asked sounding like she didn’t believe me and it was bullshit. I knew then she had heard the rumours and the happy feeling was pushed aside by the ‘stinky’ one.

“Come on!” James shouted.

“Sorry Di I have to go as we are late. If you can let Jim in that would be wonderful,” I said and hung up.

“Are you ok?” he asked as I walked back into the room.

“Yeah,” I said grabbing my bag and opening the door.

“So who was the buzz kill on the phone?” he asked on the way to the lift.

“Buzz kill?”

“Yeah you were all happy and then took that call and look like someone told you Santa’s not real.”

“He is too!” I said smiling and deciding to shake off the call as he slung his arm around my shoulders and I dropped one of mine to circle his waist.

“That’s better,” he said pressing a kiss to my head.

“Quick the lift!” I said rushing ahead as I shouted “Hold the lift!”