Chapter 25

James didn’t try to kiss me again that night or the night after. He didn’t try to hold my hand or put his arm around me. Sure he would politely help me around as I had a dodgy ankle but other than that, it was just strangers sharing a bed which he always came to after I was asleep.

As Lauren and I sat by the pool and the men were at the bar she started laughing.

“What?” I asked.

“You,” she said shaking her head.

“Huh?” I was confused.

“You have not taken your eyes off James since he went to the bar and this morning your gaze followed him around the room like a cat with a red dot.”

I opened my mouth to protest.

“Don’t even think about denying it. You are wasting valuable holiday time being moody when you could be naked.”

I giggled.

“And what do you find so interesting on that laptop?”

“I told you, I am working out here too, so its research,” I replied not giving away that it was in fact I was looking at the pictures but couldn’t suck it up all at once or I would have a migraine.

“Can I help?”

“God no it’s boring, well to others it boring.”

“James finds it interesting.”

“Trying to impress me,” I said covering for him.

“Well you remember what I was saying about you not being able to take your eyes off him?”

“Mmm.”

“That guy at four o’clock.... don’t look, don’t look... has been staring at you all day.”

I leant forward with my phone pretending to get my drink and took a photo, she laughed at my sly move and I said cheers to her but as I took a swig and saw the man she was talking about, I started to choke on it in shock. He was one of the guys from last year.

I spluttered and half panicked.

“You alright?” she asked.

“Yeah,” I said coughing some more as I panic text James at the bar.

‘Don’t look back at me. S2 is here. Just come over like we practiced with more drinks.” S2 meant suspect 2 and I watched him take his phone out. He looked at the message, I noted the shock on his face. He turned to the bar and ordered the drinks.

“Just text James... to get us more drinks,” I coughed. Hoping my face covered the alarm I could feel. I was like action man, my eyes were scanning everywhere looking for Emily.

James appeared at the side making me jump. He sat on the side of the lounger and leant across me kissing my cheek.

“Calm down baby,” he whispered. His hand holding mine, making me realise how much it was shaking. “Which one is it?”

“The one who... stared at my bum,” I stammered, catching my breath at the end. I was totally panicking. “She’s not here.”

“It’s ok, calm down,” he whispered.

“Are you ok?” Lauren asked.

“Went down... the wrong way,” I said.

“You silly arse,” she said laughing.

“Let’s shake it off,” James said helping me up. He wrapped his arms around me rubbing my back as we hugged, I clung to him terrified and only when Lauren told him to pack it in did I realise he groping my bum. He wound her up putting both his hands on it and giving it a squeeze. I knew whose benefit it was for but she didn’t.