Chapter 6 | The Chaos of Prophecies

"So, you killed a spino. With your bare hands."

Karata attempted to nod and shake her head at the same time. "Well, I had Charcoal and a spear." Her voice seemed tiny and insignificant compared to Ago's.

"Jan told me what you told him about how you killed the spino. Is that correct?"

"Yes. If the body is still there, you can see my explanation matches the wounds."

"Hmm. And how do I know you weren't rescued or anything?"

"You don't." Karata raised her gaze to stare directly into Ago's blue eyes. "You just have to trust me."

Ago blinked slowly. "You are young and bold. You are very open about such things. I would believe you, but surely you can see how . . . strange the circumstances are."

"Yes. But, sir?"

"Yes, Sailslayer?"

Karata jerked in surprise. "Er, two things actually. First, what do you mean Sailslayer?"

"You slayed a spino. Spinos are often referred to as sailfish. Thus, you are a Sailslayer."

"Oh. Uh, anyways, why were the men in the disguised huts talking about me?"

Ago sighed. "I suppose . . . we wanted to protect you from this. Are you sure you want to know, even if it may endanger you?"

"Of course! I hate being ignorant!"

"Fine." His chest rose and fell with a deep breath. 

"Long ago, there were far more than just two tribes. All of them warred for dominance over the island. Then, many of the tribes rallied and fought against another alliance. It was the bloodiest battle in our recorded history and thus was named the Bloodbath of the Obelisks.

"Because in the aftermath of the battle, when warriors simply collapsed from exhaustion or wounds, the obelisks spoke.

"They told a prophecy:

Many will become Two. 

Spark and Storm will war. 

But one survivor will have the power of our light.

One survivor will end the fight.

"Jagged Flame clearly thinks that you are the One. I don't know why they would want to kill you if you were though. I thought Jagged Flame would of wanted this war to end as well."

Karata frowned. How does Ago know for sure that the people talking about me were from Jagged Flame?

"However, our spies said that your mother was assassinated almost immediately after your birth."

Karata gasped, blinking back tears. 

"I assume you were told that she died in childbirth?"

She nodded, feeling the hot tears gather at the corners of her eyes.

"I believe knowing the truth is punishment enough. You will not be punished further for running off. However do not do it again. I will not be so lenient next time." Ago admonished.

"Yes, sir." Karata rose from the chair and flung open the door, rushing from his hut.

She was stopped instantly by Jan.