Chapter 7 | The Dawning of Bloodshed

The night air felt like Charcoal's claws slicing through her skin.

Charcoal gone. Her brain couldn't comprehend it. 

Charcoal gone. The dark wind ripped the tears from her eyes.

Charcoal gone.

Karata flung her head back and screamed. Grief and pain and fury tearing at her throat, filling the island with reverberations of raw emotion.

The whole world was black. 

But black was Charcoal's color . . .

She snarled and screamed again, as loud as she could, as long as she could, until she choked and tasted blood in her throat.

Her ears rang with her own anguish. Charcoal gone.

And then they roared. All the dinosaurs that heard her roared back, and all the dinos that heard them reared up and howled until the whole world shook.

In that moment she realized, the beauty, and brutality, and beauty of nature, of it all. She realized that they knew her own pain, and that she had just tapped on something ancient. Primal.

Fishwing jerked under her. She could hear a screech ringing from his beak, and she knew, he had been moved too.

Slowly the clamor faded, but everything seemed clearer, more alive.

Karata landed Fishwing, wishing she could of told Jan. He would of told her not to go, but she had to go.

The men had taken Charcoal. She knew it deep in her heart. They had been talking about her loved ones, and one of them mentioned her mentor, but they decided on Charcoal. 

She knew it was a trap.

She didn't care.

She would have to fight. After all, its only a trap if they managed to capture her, and she wouldn't let them.

Fishwing's head jerked up. Karata froze, listening.

Wings beat overhead.

Karata slowly looked up, seeing a massive winged beast, a quetzal, and seeing Charcoal dangling from its claws.

Her Charcoal.

She retained no memory of flying up.

She was listening one moment, and then she saw Charcoal, and then she was leaping off Fishwing onto the quetzal.

People yelling. Dodging bolas that swiped by her feet.

Karata jumped from the feathery tail and landed on Charcoal. He yelped and looked down, seeing her clinging to his scales.

Two twin shrieks split the air. 

Relief, terror, anticipation flooded her.

Then she realized that her momentum had knocked them from the quetzal's grasp.

She screamed.

The stream glistened in her eye and she whirled, flinging Charcoal away from her, toward the stream.

Fishwing suddenly swooped under her and she landed heavily in his saddle. A loud splash resonated through the forest. 

The pteranodon soared over the river, seeing Charcoal spluttering and trying to get to shore. Fishwing landed on the sand, and the black raptor soon emerged from the water, shaking water from his feathers.

Karata slid off and raced to hug Charcoal.

"I was so worried!" She exclaimed. Charcoal made a purring sound and rubbed her cheek with his.