Chapter 8 | The Beginnings of War

Ago might as well have ripped her heart from her chest and flung it at her feet.

The world felt slightly off-kilter. Like someone had set a clouded, cracked lens over her vision. Like someone had just wrenched the island to the side so it was aligned diagonally. 

Tensions had always been high between the two tribes. But full-out war had been delayed for so long . . . and if Karata was the One, then she had failed. She was supposed to end the fight, not start another one!

"You should get some sleep." Jan interrupted her thoughts. "Big day tomorrow."

She glared at him. "Understatement of the year." 

He smiled softly and then yanked her from her cross-legged slouch on the grass. He pulled her into a hug. She felt something sear in her chest, like her heart was catching flame. 

Karata retreated into the Raptor House. Charcoal nestled in beside her and she couldn't repress a smile. If her raptor was here, she would be okay. 

Morning woke with crystal-clear weather and a sunny disposition.

Karata glowered at the gorgeous sky, and perfect breeze, and bright sun.

"Its not right." She mumbled. "Weather shouldn't get to be so happy on a day like this."

The camp was bustling, tribemates running about like a pack of compies. But it was eerily silent, as if no one could bear to talk on a day like this.

"Hey." Jan appeared next to her. "You all ready?"

Karata was outfitted in Apprentice Chitin, the most expensive the tribe could give to her. Of course, the higher-up members got better armor of better make, but she was a new member who apparently hadn't proven herself yet.

"As ready as I'll ever be."

"So, not at all?" Jan flashed her a crooked grin.

She sighed and turned her gaze to the ground. "Yeah."

"Cheer up! Its not that bad!" He placed a hand on her shoulder, clearly try to comfort her.

Something snapped deep within her.

"Not that bad?" She snarled. "I might have to kill my friends! And I was supposed to stop the fighting! I failed!"

His expression saddened. "There's still hope. Things are never what they seem. Besides, I'll make it up to you."

She cocked her head at him. "Make it up to me? What --"

"Attention!" Ago's commanding voice rang across the camp.

"I would like each Bronto to be carrying one of every House. When we run out of brontos, we will ride the Quetzals. If you own a large dinosaur, please have it follow your ride. Small dinos will ride the platforms.

"When the brontos break the cover of trees, fire ranged weapons. When we get closer, please get on your dinos and fight from their backs. Stay clear of the bronto tails.

"Quetzal-riders, we will hover near the top of the obelisk. You will leap and release your parachute at the last second. We are the surprise attack, we attack after the brontos meet the battle. Feel free to fire ranged weapons when in free fall.

"Begin!"

In a flurry of commotion, Karata found herself seated on a metal platform with Jan. The quetzal flung out its wings and took to the skies. 

She peered out over the edge. The wind clawed at her hair, threatening to tear her off the quetzal. The ground seemed impossibly far away.

They soon reached the obelisk. An air of general discomfort permeated the crowd. Anxiety sparked in Karata's gut. 

"Karata!"

She looked up, startled, and gaped upon seeing Ago in full battle armor riding an Argentavis. 

"I need to speak with you for a second!" He called. Then he swooped in and snatched her in the bird's talons.

He dropped her off on another quetzal platform. It was disturbingly empty except for . . .

A copper throne enclosed in a spidery black cage.

"This is Slettin. He is the head of our spies in Jagged Flame, and one of my most trusted advisors. I tell him everything." Ago put his arm around the reptile-man's shoulders affectionately.

Karata wasn't aware that she was backing up until Ago gave her an odd look and she realized she was almost falling off the quetzal.

"Y -- you!" She gasped.

"I've heard a lot about you." Burnt-Face, er, Slettin grinned.

"You've met me! You're a dirty double-crosser and you work for both tribes and --"

"Karata, are you quite alright?" Ago stepped forward. "Slettin has been my friend for --"

"JUMP!" A commander boomed.

She looked down and was appalled to see the battle already begun! 

Karata leapt without a second thought. 

Slettin caught her on the way down.

"I knew it was you," He breathed, his eyes edged with mania. "I knew because you glowed. Your mother birthed you and you were glowing like the obelisks and I wanted to kill you and your mother and then I thought, what if she was my queen?"

With a shriek, Karata whirled away from him, the air currents tossing her about. 

The ground was alarmingly close. It was expanding, incredibly beautiful and deadly.

Karata pulled the parachute. Her descent slowed rapidly, jerking her in the harness. Then she was on the ground with a thud.

Blood.

There were people screaming, roaring, and there was clanging of weapons against weapons against armor. There was blood, slick beneath her feet, staining the ground, choking the air.

For a few terrifying moments, all was chaos and fear.

And then a flash of a glowing red obelisk. The surge of confidence. The adrenaline and almost audible click as the world seemed to focus around her.

She fought. 

Spear, stab. Spear, whirl. Spear, arc down, pull back, stab. Spear, shattered. New spear, spinning, thwacking, stabbing.

Then Slettin grabbed her from behind and yanked her backwards, out of the fight.

"I will summon the beast," He seemed short of breath. "And we will fight it and I will kill it! Sweet, succulent revenge! Sweeter than blood!" He was shouting.

Karata backed away and then realized Charcoal was beside her. They leapt into the fray, a pair in concert. 

She was abruptly interrupted.

A Megalosaurus had lockjawed her legs, sweeping her up into the air. Charcoal leapt up indignantly, and then the megalosaurus growled and flung her from her jaws.

Freedom! Her mind crowed.

Flung her from its jaws . . . into a rex's maw. 

Red-hot pain. Like electricity, sizzling across her torso.

She screamed. She felt the rex's teeth crunch through, nearly severing her body from her legs.

She saw Jan, jaw dropped, face white. Terrified, TERRIFIED.

She felt her heart contract once.

Then she was dead.