Chapter Two: My World Just Turned Even Darker

I ran my hand over the throne's armrest. The empress's throne. My mom's throne.

Nobody's throne.

I looked over at my friends. They were removing the emperor's throne. Then the empress's throne.

We had just finished with the funeral. I looked at my siblings, they were sitting on the platform steps, eyes dead and moist.

My friends put a gleaming black throne encrusted with blood red jewels and other precious gems in the middle of the platform.

My throne.

I slowly lowered myself into the seat. I was still dressed in my party outfit. A buzzing sound came from above, I glanced up just in time to see the fold-in television swing towards me. The screen lit up.

My siblings crowded around me to look at it. My friends fidgeted nervously. What's going on now? I thought dully. My parents' and my friends' death still hadn't impacted me fully yet. I kept it at bay, fearing the worst.

Shane's face showed up on the big screen.

"Hello citizens of Lianda!" His voice boomed. "I am deeply sorry to announce that Her Majesty and her family has died due to a terrorist attack." No you're not sorry at all! I was seething with anger. A picture showed up, me, my parents, my sisters and brothers, and my friends were dead, laying on the ground at Jade Clearing.

The picture disappeared, showing Shane's ugly traitorous face again.

"Let's have a silent moment to honor this magnificent family and their friends." Shane said. Then he bowed his head and the camera zoomed out. It showed Shane's sons and Shane's wife, Shanna Costa, doing the same.

When they raised their heads, a look of victory flashed across Shane's face, then disappeared.

"Since the rulers and the heirs are dead, I will be ruling in Linda's place." Shane continued.

"What?" I shouted. "But he's a guy! It's supposed to be a female to rule first before the male!" I was smoking mad. Shane just wants power and he's willingly to kill his best friends to do it. The least he could do was to follow the tradition and let Shanna rule first!

"Shhh...Calm down, let's hear what else he has to say." Emma coaxed. I slumped back in my seat, glaring at the screen.

"I will now rename the empire, Costaia!" Shane yelled, his face shining now, with triumph. The other citizens could surely see he's a dictator. Or at least I hope so. Next to him, Shanna frowned. Clearly, she disapproved of Shane's decision. Maybe she'll help us. After all, Shanna is nice and loyal to my parents. I know her. She's not like Shane. I think.

I slammed my fist on the armrest. I was trying not to lose my cool. "Costaia? Costaia?! What kind of name is Costaia?!" I demanded. "At least my parents wasn't so self-centered that they names the empire after themselves!" I was so angry. If this was a cartoon, my face would be red and smoke would be coming out of my ears.

"Sista okay?" Four years old Kwan asked. His sweet little face morphed into a frown, worried about me.

I smiled and ruffled his black hair. "Sista's alright, Kwan."

He beamed, then it started going downhill. "Mommy and Daddy is alright too, right? They in Heaven?"

I froze. What am I supposed to do? Lie? Or tell the truth? But before I could say anything, six years old Amir stepped forward.