Chapter Seventeen

The sounds of sirens and flashing lights woke me up. I shot up in bed, noticing Xavier already up and peering out the window. The house was noisy, loud voices carrying throughout. I flung the blackest off, standing up hurriedly in the darkened room.

               The clock read 3:11am. I rushed to Xavier as he struggled to step into his pants. “What is it?” I questioned, stepping around him to look out the window myself. I brushed the curtains to the side, staring out.

              Cops cars covered the lawn, twenty or more. There were army vehicles, men and women in uniform and guns at the hips. I looked through the faces, trying to spot a familiar one. I spotted Rehael in the crowd, amongst other angels that I vaguely recognized.

              They were using humans, like that time I found those two men at the manor with Rehael. The thought disgusted me.

                I stepped away from the window, shoving on a pair of yoga pants. Xavier was dressed too and he waited for me before grabbing my hand and dragging me out the room.

              The halls were crowded, people running everywhere. When they saw us they stopped and followed behind. We reached the small area below the stairs and next to the door, were the majority of people were scattered.

              Eli pushed his way through the crowd, walking to us, “There are around fifty humans out there. And Israel thought he saw around fifteen angels.”

              Xavier nodded, letting go of my hand and walking to the middle of the crowd. Eli stayed at my side. “Attention!” Xavier screamed his voice booming over the voices. Everyone became silent, listening to their Alpha, “We don’t know what they want yet, so we aren’t going to charge out their guns ready. Understood?” There was a small murmur of agreement though the crowd, “But, we must be ready for an attack.” Xavier finished and heads bobbed in acknowledgement, some people gave loud whistles and others through there fist in the air.

                 The noise started again, people moving to collect weapons. Xavier met my eyes as he went towards the door, ‘stay here’ he mouthed to me, a warning in his eyes.

                  Xavier yanked the door open, people moving out of the way for him. I watched as he stepped outside, the people on the lawn reacting with raising their guns. People from inside the house flooded out after him, taking over the lawn. I went to follow everyone but Eli grabbed a hold of my arm, stopping me.

              I couldn’t see what was happening over everyone’s heads. Before Eli had timed to react, I yanked my arm from his, turning and racing up the stairs. I heard his voice call after me but I ignored it and kept running.

               I ran to the library, knowing it was the only room in the house with a window facing directly below the front lawn. I yanked open the doors, skidding to a halt next to the window. Xavier stood up front, directly across from Rehael. I noticed Charemeine in the corner, her gaze deadly.

               I tuned in to their conversation, straining my ears to hear. Rehael started his voice calm and quiet, “We don’t want a fight,” He spoke softly, his eyes not wavering from Xavier’s, “We only want one thing and I believe she is in your possession.”

                I froze along with Xavier when he said ‘she.’

               Xavier’s hand fisted, his tone deathly quiet, “And who would she be?” He questioned, although I knew he knew the answer.