Chapter Three

As it was nearing Chritmas time, you would expect the teachers at school to get into the Holiday spirit. Well, apparently not. I walked into English class and sat down, full of expectations that were innediately crushed when our teacher, Miss Miles, started speaking.
"Good morning class. Today I will be putting you in pairs and assigning you scenes from Romeo and Juliet! You will have three lessons to work on them, and you will perform them in front of the class."
I groaned silently. Seriously? The last thing I want to do when I'm heartbroken is act out a scene from a play about two lovers!

"Amy, you will be working with James on the death scene."
I smiled, I knew Amy had the biggest crush on James. She blushed crimson as James smiled and winked at her.
"Casey, you will do the balcony scene with..." Miss Miles paused to consult her list.
"Kaleb."
Shit. What am I going to do?!?

***

Later we were sitting around at a table together in silence.
"So how would you like to start the scene?" I asked, trying to get the conversation started.
"Dunno." He replied bluntly.
"Well, if we're gonna do this, you need to talk." I said.
No response from Kaleb.
"Can we at least talk about what happened between us? Why are you treating me like this?" I asked, becoming tearful.
"I donno what you're talking about." He said. Thats when I lost it.
"We have been best friends for 15 years Kaleb!! What could I possibly do to deserve this?" I shouted, "And the fact that you don't see what you're doing wrong is just the cherry on the cake!  Screw this and screw you! Just learn your lines and we'll improvise on the day! I can't do this anymore Kaleb. I give up!" I ran out the classroom and into the bathroom where I sat down and cried my eyes out.