The Proposal

I walked slowly toward the room with my future wife in it. This was not the pace of a man in love, about to announce his feelings to his beloved; This was the pace of a broken man, completely resigned.

What would I say to her? "Hey you weren't my first choice but she cheated on me so will you marry me?"

Not exactly the most romantic proposal.

Soon I found myself in front of her door. Knocking, I raked my fingers through my hair, corrected my posture, and forced a smile.

As soon as she opened the door, Kriss pulled me in for a hug.

"Oh Maxon," she said softly, "I'm so sorry." I slowly drew in a breath, then released her.

"It's alright." I managed.

I looked at her face and noticed she had been crying.

"Are you okay?" I inquired.

She shrugged, "I just hate seeing you hurt like that. And for America to –" her voice broke.

"I know." I gave her another hug.

"But enough about that!" I forced yet another smile on my face. "We have much more important matter to discuss."

"Okay well just let me get the rest of my stuff." She turned.

I cocked my head and looked at her blankly. "Are you leaving?"

Now it was her turn to look confused. "Aren't I?"

"Well I guess if you don't want to marry me then–" Her face brightened with understanding and, before I could finish my sentence, she hurled herself at me.

She giggled and hung onto me while I just kind of stood there. Eventually she backed up. She was beaming and breathless but seemed to regain control over herself. "I thought, you know, that after America... And since I'm your second choice then that wouldn't work out... But I guess– "

She stopped, took a breath, and looked reproachfully at me. "If you're just asking because you have to then I want no part in it. You make me so happy and I love you but if you don't return my feelings then please say so while we can still change things."

I looked at her for a moment, trying to gauge if she was done. "Kriss, you always seem to care about me and I know I can always count on you. I hope you will do me the honor of becoming Princess Kriss Schreave."

"Are you sure?" She asked one last time, though she was already grinning wildly.

"Of course." I replied, grinning back. Deep down though, I couldn't help wondering, was I?