The One: Bonus Epilogue - Part One

America had another nightmare last night. Even though it had been more than two years since that terrible day with the rebels, we both still felt the pain and loss keenly and frequently.

I brushed a kiss against America's shoulder, remembering the way she'd cried against my own shoulder last night after a nightmare that - from what I could gather - had to do with Celeste's death.

Yes, the losses from that day were still fresh, but as I gazed at my wife's sleeping form, I thought about all the happiness that I'd experienced since then and all that life still had to offer me. If the loss and pain I'd experienced had taught me anything, it was that every moment was precious.

I savored these moments with my queen, as I knew I always would.

I once again began trailing kisses along America's shoulder and back, brushing her hair away as I continued my ministrations.

A giggle escaped my wife as I brushed my lips against a spot I knew to be particularly ticklish on her neck.

"Good morning, darling." I whispered.

"Good morning." She replied sleepily.

"I was wondering," I began as she rolled over to face me. "Seeing as it's my birthday, do you think we could get away with spending the entire day in bed?"

She grinned and opened her eyes. "And who will run the country?"

"No one. Let it fall to pieces. So long as I have my America in my arms."

She was still smiling as she gazed at me for a moment, obviously giving the proposition a fair amount of consideration. My heart swelled with love as I stared into her eyes, smiling myself, and waited for her reply.

"But what about the party? We spent weeks planning?" She finally said.

I propped my head up on my hand. "Hmm. Okay, we'll take a ten-minute break to check out the party and come right back." I wrapped my arms around my wife, and she laughed as I covered her with kisses.

I was so focused on my task that I didn't hear the butler knock or enter the room until he cleared his throat. "Your Majesty, there's a call from—"

He didn't get a chance to finish the sentence before I took aim and launched a pillow in his general direction. He fled into the hall and closed the door again.

I bent my face towards America, intent on resuming my ministrations, but apparently the butler was in a similar state of mind, resuming his own task.

"Sorry sir." Came his muffled voice from just outside the door. I knew he would remain there until I received his message.

I sighed and sat up. It's not as if I was unused to the lack of privacy afforded a life of royalty, but in moments like these it was particularly annoying.

I glanced down at my wife to see her struggling to restrain a laugh. I smiled and rolled my eyes. "Well I guess that answers my question."

She sat up and kissed my cheek, then seemed to sway. "Oh!"

"Are you alright?" I asked, worried.

"Mm-hmm," she said, covering her mouth. "Sat up too quickly."

I rubbed her back in soothing circles, and she leaned into me. I tried to distract her from the nausea by asking what time the party was at, despite knowing the answer.

"Six." She replied. "Everyone's coming, even my mom."

"Oh," My eyes widened. "Then it'll really be a party."

America swatted me. "Are you ever going to let it go? It was one time."

"She danced in the fountain on New Year's Eve, America. It was amazing, and I will never let it go."

She sighed. "Anyway, don't be late. I'm going to get dressed. I'll see you at breakfast."

"Okay." I smiled.

She stood, pulling the sheet from the bed as she did so to wrap around her body.

I lay back, relishing the view as I watched her go. "Of all your dresses, that's my favorite."

She turned back for a moment and bit her lip. My eyes were drawn to the motion and I would've lunged up to drag her back to bed except that she swiftly disappeared behind the door to her suite.

I closed my eyes, grinning. I was truly the luckiest man alive.

"Your Majesty." The butler must have somehow heard America leave because he was suddenly inside my room once more.

I quickly grabbed another pillow and looked at him threateningly. He cowered away but stayed in the room. When he realized that I was going to allow him to speak before loosing another projectile he continued. "You received that call you've been waiting for. You asked the staff to notify you immediately in the case of the response."

I immediately straightened. "She called?" The butler nodded. "And the response? Positive or negative?"

"Positive, Majesty. She has asked that you call her as soon as you are able."

My jaw dropped briefly, then I smiled. "Excellent news. Thank you so much."

He nodded and exited the room as I sprang up from bed to prepare for the day.