The Promise

The garden had been laid for a fairytale wedding. An elegant arch hung ripe with roses and some other flowers I didn't know the names of, and the petals of those same flowers littered the aisle and pretty much everywhere.

The effect was... gorgeous.

America had requested a simple, intimate affair.

This was something between that and a full-on royal gala. But more on the gala side.

Still, it was lovely, and I knew America would love it.

The past few days I'd forbade her to see the garden, and though she'd scowled and told me I couldn't tell her what to do, I had noticed her giving the place a wide berth.

Even the stubbornest of brides wouldn't ruin the surprise of her wedding day.

Where that same bride was now, I didn't know. I was currently standing rather awkwardly at the altar – or arch, as it may be. Gavril Fadaye stood next to me, remarkably calm for a man who had just been awoken abruptly at three in the morning and asked to officiate the marriage of the King and future Queen of Illéa.

"She's going to show up, if that's what you're so nervous about." Gavril told me, leaning over so I could hear his soft voice in all the hubbub.

I smiled at him graciously and turned to survey the scene. Carter and Aspen stood to my left, anxiously awaiting the lovely Bridesmaid counterparts to their dashing Groomsmen selves. Marlee and Lucy were undoubtedly touching up America in every way possible, May bouncing around them excitedly, while Kenna likely consoled a weeping Magda.

The imaginary scene made me grin.

What a mess I was getting myself into.

I straightened myself and my tie when music began to play. I had no idea where it was coming from, but I had asked for music and thus received, fortunately.

Everyone in the audience turned towards the aisle. There were few of them, only relatives and very close friends that I knew America would be comfortable with, and whom she truly cared for.

May made her way down the aisle first arm in arm with Magda and Kenna, all dressed in pale blue dresses that May had been fawning over for months. They looked radiant and united and May beamed at me as she took her place at my right.

Then came Lucy, who looked at only Aspen. From the love shining in her eyes, I suspected another wedding was near in order.

Marlee was last, and though she too looked mostly at her husband, she passed a wink my way as she slipped to the side.

Then my heart stopped.

America glided down the aisle effortlessly, stunningly beautiful in a gown of white and silk. It flowed behind her for what seemed like miles, but she was unhindered. A delicate sheer veil flared from underneath a diamond tiara, which was sitting slightly crooked on a crimson mess of waves and braids.

She looked fierce and wild and – a little bit nervous.

But then –

But then she smiled at me, and I smiled back, and everything else faded away.

I took her hands as she approached and barely restrained myself from kissing her full, perfect lips.

She smirked at me as if she knew exactly what I was thinking about doing and said: "I do."

I imperceptibly jumped. I had missed almost the entire ceremony staring into those electric, blue eyes. I mean the whole thing was rather short, and royal weddings in Illéa didn't include vows as they were too awkward when arranged marriages had been more common. Still, I couldn't be sure just how much I'd missed –

Gavril cleared his throat. A couple people in the audience chuckled softly.

"Do you, Your Majesty?" I understood then that he was repeating himself.

Drat, I had missed the whole thing. For a good reason though, I though, smiling at my bride-to-be.

Plus, everyone knew the answer to this part.

"I do."

"Wonderful," Gavril smiled, "Then I now pronounce you Man and Wife, and present you to the kingdom as King Maxon and Queen America Schreave, sovereigns of Illéa."

Now came the best part.

"You may now kiss the bride."

And as I removed her veil and bent to kiss my wife, I made my vows in my heart, pouring them into the kiss.

I promise to cherish you forever. I promise to spend each day working to become the truest version of myself, for you, for us, and for our family. I promise to be here to wipe away tears of sadness, to elicit tears of joy, and to cry out to everyone who will listen how much I love you.

I promise – not just for this moment, not for an hour, or day, or year – I will always love you.

I promise.