The Hospital

This whole being-the-King thing was exhausting.

I opened my twenty-seventh letter and made a very high-pitched, un-Kingly sound in my throat. I had been using my letter opener with a certain amount of vigor, and thus sliced my palm open. After quickly removing my bleeding hand, trying not to stain all my important documents, I ran to the bathroom to wrap it in a cloth.

I began to regret getting out of bed this morning.

Cursing the inventor of extremely impractical dagger-shaped letter openers, I made my way down to the hospital wing.

Once there, I went straight to the cabinets where the bandages were kept and wrapped my injury.

The number of wounded here had decreased significantly. Only around two dozen people were occupying the cots around the room. The fact that I thought that was such a small number proved how awful that attack had truly been.

I studied them, taking in their injuries. One man had lost half his leg. A woman had thick bandages covering her head and appeared to be unconscious.

I finished with my hand and put the supplies away. Just then I heard a voice from one of the operating rooms.

"I'm fine. Really! It's been a week. I just want to try to stand on my own."

I froze.

Slowly, I turned and walked to the door as if in a trance. It was slightly ajar, and I pushed it fully open.

Facing away from me was a girl in a papery hospital dress with bright red hair. At the sound of the door, the doctor turned in surprise.

"Who-- Your Majesty."

I ignored him and watched as the girl stiffened, then pivoted to face me.

"Your Majesty." She shifted on her feet, stumbled, and, with a small cry, collapsed.

I unfroze and rushed forward, catching her up in my arms. The doctor took this as his unofficial cue to leave, and I was left alone with her.

Her.

"America?"