Remembered, Not Forgotten

(I deepest apologies for not updating on the Day of the Dead. Though my first plan, fate got in the way. Along with work. I do intend on updating again, your paitence is greatly appreciated!)

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry please just open up!"

"No, you forgot and I'm not letting you get away with it! Not this time!"

"Well don't shut me out! Can I at least explain myself?"

"No!" In this situation, most who knew the god and goddess of the dead, La Muerte and Xibalba, would expect the usual angry La Muerte and frantic Xibalba trying to win back the heart of his mi amor. However, today it was quite the opposite. La Muerte stood in the Land of the Forgotten, pounding frantically on the door to Xibalba's chambers, struggling for a way to get him to forgive her.

"Xibalba I'm sorry I forgot the anniversary dinner, I was up to my nose in new souls! It was just so busy that it slipped my mind!" But the goddess got no reply from him. Giving a frustrated sigh she tugged off her sombrero, running her milky white fingers through her ebony locks. Yes she felt incredibly guilty for missing the dinner, the dinner he'd planned for the both of them as to rekindle their romance, but it hadn't been her fault! It was her duty as Lady of the Remembered to take care of all the souls there. And, as the book would have it, she'd gotten a very large shipment of new, nervous and jumpy souls looking for family or just some sort of reassurance. After all, the shock of dying still plagued many souls, even after they'd made a home for themselves in her land. And it was her job to take care of this; no matter the consequences. It was her job, and sometimes she'd have to put work before her husband. Anger flared in her chest. She had a land to look after, she didn't have time to pick up after him all the time! He was his own god, and he knew the responsibilities of being a diety.

"Xibalba stop acting so childishly and open this door!" she snapped. Xibalba however retorted in a hot tone,

"No, now leave me alone! Come back when you actually have time for me!" La Muerte made a move to yank the door open and yell at him to stop moping and move on, only to hesitate. Despite her reasoning and anger, she still felt guilty. He'd sounded so excited the day before, rambling on and on about his plans and how romantic he intended on making it. It had been so long since she'd seen such enthusiasm in his eyes, blazing with purpose and creativity. Perhaps it was because, as Lord of the Forgotten, he had little to do. By giving him something to do had brought purpose to his life again. She on the other hand had too much to do. And when he'd told her all his plans and ideas, she had merely nodded absentmindedly, focused on her work. He'd boasted of how much fun the both of them would have upon this night and all the things he'd planned to rekindle the embers of their romance with excitement in his voice. Yet she'd barely listened at all. Suddenly, all her actions felt...unjustifiable. Returning her efforts she knocked upon the door,

"Xibalba, please let me in. I want to talk to you." She pleaded, hands clasped together. Again, no reply. Lowering her voice to a softer tone she asked again,

"Balby. Please." Instead of an angry retort or perhaps the sound of something breaking in one of his fits, she heard a low, sad voice.

"Why am I unloved?" That made her gasp in surprise, pressing her ear to the door. Unloved, he wasn't unloved at all! She loved him with all her heart! But before she could respond and solace him, Xibalba went on; 

"Why am I so unfortunate? I love the most wonderful woman in all the lands, yet she doesn't truly love me. I am always second rate, always put off for her work. All I ever hear is, 'not now Xibalba' or 'just wait a minute Balby'. But she means none of it. How I wish I could tear out this loving heart of mine, for it aches for her. My sweet mi amor. My heart does not realize how unloved I am, and takes beating after beating for her. It blindly accepts every excuse and plea for another second or minute. It is bruised yet beats proudly and strongly for my sweet La Muerte. How I wish I could stop loving her...but I cannot. I love deeply, so deeply that nothing could stop it. Alas, I am unloved and unwanted. Perhaps this was why I was given the role of Lord of the Forgotten. For I am always forgotten myself." 

La Muerte felt tears sting her eyes at his mournful words. She could practically see it, his wings drooping, his crown askew, his eyes downcast and filled with that lost, empty look she always saw upon the souls here. The goddess bit her lip as she realized she had squashed the feverish delight in his eyes and heart by forgetting. It only showed how little she cared, how...forgotten he was. Just like his land and his souls. Tears seeping down her cheeks she pushed the doors open with all her might, finding him upon his bed, his wings curled around himself like a blanket. Attempting to protect him from the pains of love. Going up to him she struggled not to cry, gently placing her hands on his wings. The wings that had cradled her year after year, decade after decade, that had always welcomed her despite their weathered appearance.

"Balby?" She whispered, "I'm sorry if I made you feel so forgotten and unwanted. I'm sorry I'm always so busy and I never seem to have time for you..." his wings grew tighter around himself but she went on, gliding her fingers over the burnt and torn feathers lovingly. "But I want you to know that I do love you. That...that I'm always thinking of you and I love you with all my heart. That you mean all the world to me Xibalba." His wings didn't shift, making her give a small sob, wrapping her arms around him.

"Xibalba please! Please, I...don't want you to think so poorly of yourself. You're loved! You're loved and wanted! And if I could, I'd spend every minute I could with you." Her tears trailed along the dark feathers, decorating the tips like little raindrops as she cried. La Muerte cried for Xibalba, she cried for the fact she spent so much time helping lost, saddened souls when the saddest and loneliest soul was next to her all along. Her sweet, lonely Xibalba that just wanted her attention and love. Suddenly, she felt a his wings shift and looked up in surprise, finding his face revealed, a soft smile on his lips, genuine and delicate.

"Do you truly mean that mi amor?" he asked quietly. She wiped at her eyes, nodding feverishly.

"I do; oh Xibalba, I love you so much. I love you more than anything in any realm. You are mi amor." He leaned in and lightly kissed her forehead, his wings now fully parted.

"I forgive you mi amor." La Muerte smiled through her tears, leaning in to bury herself in her arms. And, though he would never admit it, she found his tear trails upon his armor. So he had wept for her. The thought of him crying, the strong, confident Xibalba she knew so well, made her eyes burn with future tears. Holding onto him tightly she whispered.

"You're different than you land Xibalba." He was quiet for a long moment, only to ask,

"How's that?" She gave a soft sigh against his throat, closing her eyes as she spoke.

"Because you're remembered." Xibalba made a soft noise, a mix of a sob and a gasp. Only urging her to stand and take his hands, pulling a teary eyed Xibalba to his feet, his grand black wings fluffed with emotion.

"Now. I want to spend my anniversary with the love of my life. Care to join me mi amor?" His lips twitched into a smile, one of pride. Oh she did not know how long he'd ached to hear such words pass her lips. Months. Years. Decades.

                                                      "Of course, anything for you my love."