3. My Weakness For British Accents Is Now At A New Height

Chapter 3

My Weakness For British Accents Is Now At A New Height

“Hello, Dr. Landon,” the guy – Max Knight – said to Dad in his amazing British accent when he got to us .  “It’s a pleasure to meet you.  I’m Max Knight, but you probably already know that.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, too, Max.  And yes, I did,” he said.  “And you can just call me Steven since we’ll be around each other for a while.”

Max grinned as Dad looked over at me and Brielle.  “This is my wife, Brielle, and my daughter, Callie,” he said. 

Max shook Brielle’s hand with a smile and then turned toward me.  Maybe I was hoping to see some kind of reaction and I just saw one that really didn’t happen.  When he turned toward me, there was a certain spark in his eyes, something that I’d never experienced before.  And then when he took my hand in his, did I just imagine that little spark, that little thrill of excitement that went through me?  And…wait.  Was that a reaction from him also?

“I’m guessing Callie is short for something?” Max asked me.  He still hadn’t let go of my hand.

“Uh.” I just stared up at those beautiful, mesmerizing green eyes.  God, Callie, say something, you dork!  You know what your name is!  “Calliope,” I said finally.  “It’s short for Calliope.  I’m only called by my full name when I’m in trouble.”

Max grinned.  “Same thing happens to me with my parents,” he said, finally letting go of my hand. 

I raised an eyebrow.  “So Max is short for something?”

“Maximilian,” he said. 

I laughed.  “Nice,” I said.

I looked back over at Dad and Brielle, who had been watching the two of us.  Brielle was smiling and Dad was just shaking his head slightly. 

“Well, why don’t we head out?” Dad asked.  “We’ll clean up a bit and then we can go and have dinner so we can all get to know each other a little better.”

“Sounds good,” Brielle said, looping her arm through mine.

Dad and Max walked ahead of me and Brielle toward the baggage claim.  Since they were currently preoccupied talking to each other, Brielle nudged me with her shoulder. 

“So do you like our new addition?” she asked, grinning slyly over at me. 

I bit the inside of my lip as I watched Max walk in front of me.  He possibly looked better from behind.  His broad, muscular shoulders that went down his narrow waist and even lower to his…  Don’t you dare go any lower, you perverted eyes of mine!

“He’s cute,” I said, shrugging a little.

“Just cute?” she asked, giggling. 

I looked at the back of his dark head of hair for just a moment before I said anything.  “Well, maybe a little more than just cute,” I said quietly.

Both of us laughed then and Dad and Max turned around to look at us. 

“What are you two laughing at?” Dad asked, humor in his eyes. 

I looked over at Brielle the same moment she looked over at me. 

“Nothing,” we both said at the same time, and then burst into a fit of giggles.

Dad smiled at Max, shaking his head.  “Those two do that all the time so I’d get used to it if I were you,” he said. 

Max smiled, looking at me, before he turned around and continued walking beside my dad.