17. Who Knew A Suit Could Look So Good?

Chapter 17

Who Knew A Suit Could Look So Good?

You know, your parents are supposed to teach you that stealing is bad, right?  But in my case, mine wanted me to steal. 

And just what does my dad and Brielle want me to steal exactly? 

One of the Aztec coins that was in the private lab room down the hallway from the exhibit. 

And when were we to steal it?

During the gala, when everyone would be downstairs where the dinner was being held.  Apparently, Max and I were supposed to act like we were going to sneak out for some ‘private time’ together. 

Do you know how embarrassing having your dad tell you that’s what you were going to do?  Very.

“And I hate how Dad was angry at me for taking the ring without permission,” I complained to Brielle as she drove us toward an upscale dress shop right after we dropped Dad and Max off at the hotel.  They were going to catch a cab to the shop they were going to get their suits from.  “Now he wants me to steal something that’s actually quite secure in a museum!  How do you know we won’t be caught?  And if we are, are you two going to bail us out of jail?  And are you going to get it expunged off my record?  I don’t have anything on my record!  I’m not going to start by being arrested for stealing a historical artifact!”

“Will you calm down?” Brielle asked, laughing.  “Everything’s going to be okay.”

I groaned, leaning my head back against the leather seat.  “You don’t know that, though!” I said.

“Yes, I do,” she said, reaching over to grab my hand.  “When we get back, I’m going to reconfigure all of the data onto a flash drive and you’ll just have to plug it in.  I’ll set it up so that it automatically downloads the information when you do.”

“But what about cameras?” I asked. 

“I’ve got that covered, too,” she said.  “When you plug flash drive into the screen, it’ll download a file that temporarily disrupts the cameras that are in the area.”

I shook my head.  “I just have this feeling that something’s going to happen, whether it is during the time when Max and I are breaking in or after we do.”

“You’ll be fine.”

I just stared out the window as we drove down the highway, looking at all of the buildings and cars going by and thinking about all that could go wrong.  I mean, it’s not like I’ve never stolen anything before.  I just haven’t done it by myself.  Well, Max was going to be with me, but I doubt he’s really stolen anything before. 

Before my mind could explode thinking about everything, Brielle was pulling into the parking lot of the dress shop that we were going to.  She smiled at me as we walked toward the front doors of the shop, treading my arm through hers. 

“So I’m thinking that you have to get a dress that will make you look absolutely gorgeous,” Brielle said as we started to look through the different dresses.  “I was thinking a dark blue.  You always look good in that color.  And maybe it should be form fitting, though you’ve got to show off some leg.  Maybe a slit up to your thigh...”

I was shaking my head when she got to ‘form fitting.’  “I’m not wearing some slinky dress,” I said.  “You can’t make me.”

Brielle rolled her eyes, going toward the display that had the color dresses she wanted for me.  “Whatever,” she said.  “You know you’ll love it.”  She looked at me over her shoulder with a smirk.  “And there’s another certain someone who will also.”