Chapter 1

So this is Trapped, Chapter 1.

"For those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the sheltered will never know." - Sucker Punch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'  

I was running through the pet store, he was chasing after me. A look of utter surprise and hatred was strewn across his face. Every other time I had tried escaping, he always managed to stop me, would this time be the same? If I had any choice in the matter it wouldn’t be. This time I was going to get out, no matter what I had to do.  At last he finally he messed up; he tripped over one of the large empty dog cages that I had thrown in his path. The animals were going crazy, birds squawking, the kittens meowing for their mothers, and the puppies howling to be set free.

My feet were weak; they hadn’t been used like this in so long, I was afraid they weren’t going to be able to do the job, to withstand the duties that I had bestowed upon them in my time of need.But when the pressure was on, they did their job. They carried me right out the front door. The hot asphalt burned my feet, but they never stopped running. Before I realized it I was standing in the street. I turned to my left to see a rush of cars heading towards me. I just stared in horror at what was before me, like a deer in headlights I froze. It wasn’t until I heard the screeching tires that I moved.   I turned to run back onto the side walk when I heard him speak.

“Savannah, come back! Please, I love you.”  

My name wasn’t Savannah, it’s Evangeline, or Evan.  But we’ll get to the details later.

I was running for my life. I only backed out into the street, I could never go back. He had destroyed my life, I wasn’t about to let him destroy me too.

He was a normal looking man. If you had seen him on the street you would have thought that he had worked with computers I suppose. He wore square framed glasses, and sweater vests. He wasn’t old either. Quite young actually. Probably in his late twenties. If I hadn’t been a part of any of this I never would have thought that he was capable of such insanity, capable of doing the brutal things that he had come to do. Were they my fault? Did I push him to such brutality. No. My heart told me. None of this was my fault. I was just a trapped pawn in his imaginary game of chess. A car honked before me and sent me back into reality.

I turned to see a woman sitting in the car.I looked to her with horror in my eyes. He was coming closer if he got anywhere near me who knows what he would do. I ran over to her window. My clothes would tell a slightly different story than what I had been through. My clothes were always clean, and fresh, same as my hair. He was OCD like that. I knocked on her window.

“Please,” I begged, “You have to help me, he’s trying to kill me.”

She looked over and saw him; she turned back to me. “Hurry, get in.” she said as she unlocked her doors. I opened the passenger’s side door and climbed in. She sped away just before he reached her car; the squeeling of the tires beneath us was not enough to mask the sound of the crowbar he held as he smashed one of her taillights. She sped away immediately calling 911.  She drove and stopped behind the back of a building.

We sat there for a few minutes in silence. She stared at me, I suppose she was wondering what it was that had happened. But I never spoke a word. I never turned to look at her. My mind had blocked out all noise, the only thoughts that were running through my head were 'Is he going to find me? Would I be able to fight him off if he did?' The erry ring to the silence sounded like the roar of a jet in my ears. My eyes darted from mirror to mirror watching and waiting for him to appear out of no where. But alas he never came.

It wasn’t more than a few minutes before we could hear the sirens. It was an even shorter amount of time before we were surrounded by police cars, rescue vehicles and paramedics. I had lost time somewhere between sitting in the car, then sitting on the step on the back of the ambulance with a blanket around my shoulders.