three

"Come with me," Soda said grabbing my hand. He brought me up to what I think is his room and started to climb out the window without saying a word. I waited inside for 10 seconds, confused if it was an invite. I wasn't that bright.

He poked his head out and said "Come out here."
I nodded and climbed out of the window. He was laying on the roof, gazing up at the beautiful stars. I laid next to him.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Soda asked, breaking the iceberg.
"Yeah. New York didn't have stars. Too much pollution," I replied.

"You sure missed out on a lot. They're beautiful."
I nodded and looked over at him. The starlight was beaming on to his face, illuminating every part of his face. He looked like a Greek god.

I returned my focus to the stars. I sighed. "Do you ever think... that the stars are just more than just stars?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" Soda asked.
"I mean, if like each star wasn't just a star. Each single star had its own story. Every time someone died, a star would appear. They have their own stories–stories of heartbreak, guilt, happiness, beautifulness, braveness," I replied. "I know it sounds silly, but it's just a theory of mine." My momma used to say real inspirational stuff like that.

"Never thought of it that way," Soda said pressing his lips together. "What would my story be?" he asked, looking over at me.

"A reckless story. A beautiful one. A one with heartbreak, sadness, but happiness at the same time. You're beautiful. You're fierce. You're a rain dancer. You embrace life. Soda, I haven't known you for that long, but I feel like I've known you for forever."

He smiled at me.

(this is how soda smiled at Violet ansnfjenendn im dying)

I feel the same way. Wanna know what your story is?" Soda asked me. I nodded.

"You've had heartbreak, sadness, but there's always something beautiful hiding in the dark for you. And that's you. It's always been you. You're the sunshine at the end of the tunnel. You're determined, you're brave. That, Violet Cliff, is your story."

How did Soda make me feel so–changed? So alive? I never really thought about life this way–about stars this way–about anything or everything this way. I feel like a changed person.

"I think you're right. But, what do you mean, sunshine at the end of the tunnel?" I asked him.

Keeping my eyes locked with the stars, he responds. "As you grow up, you'll understand what I mean. You'll understand what it means to be the sunshine at the end of the tunnel. You should love yourself. You may think that you do, you may think you know your own story, your life planned out, but you don't. I'm not saying change your lifestyle, but don't let other do so."

I was confused, but I didn't want to ask any more questions. I just wanted to admire the sparkling stars that made me want to lie there forever, not moving, not speaking, not eating, not sleeping. Nothing else but just watch those stars.

"You can't take your eyes off of them," I said, keeping my gaze on the stars.

"Yeah. Only thing that would make me want to take my eyes off, is you," Soda said, looking over at me and smiling.

I turned red. "I'm not that beautiful. I don't really understand why people say it all the time. It's not that I don't like or love myself–maybe I do–I don't think so at least. It's just I don't see the beauty. I'm grateful that people compliment me all the time, but I just don't see it?" I sighed.

"How could you possibly not think you're not beautiful? I'm talking looks and all, but your personality? Beautiful. Everything about you is beautiful. Don't be so hard on yourself. Love yourself," Soda said, reaching for my hand.

I couldn't help but melt a little bit inside. Does he like me? Or is he always like this?

We intertwined hands and sat there looking at the stars, but I couldn't help thinking about what Soda just said. Maybe he did say that to every girl he saw. I shouldn't just go ahead and jump to conclusions–but I'm not gonna fall for him. I can't. I can't possibly fall in love with someone this quickly–I'm not that foolish. Or am I?

I knew Soda made me feel safe, and loved. But we only had met today. I do believe love at first sight, but I believe love ends either way. Death, cheating, or anything else. It always comes to an end.

But I never wanted this to end.

-

ahhh i'm so sorry this chapter is so short!! but holy crap guys i got 15 or 17? views! omFg im so happy!! sorry im such a dork but this means a lot to me. thank you so much, every single one of you, even if you just took a glance at my book.

it made me fan girl a tiny bit. anyway, we were watching the outsiders in class today (we're reading the book in ela) and i freaked out the whole time and cried four times. i literally melted on to the floor from my chair and chanted "DROP THE TOWEL!" during the soda towel scene. we were all thinking it ;)) but my ela teacher was like wtf the whole time lololol

if you read this whole a/n then thank you for caring about my day! it means a lot. love u all :) have a wonderful day beautiful !

i'm just gonna leave this here because susan hinton is me asf ask anyone in my class lmaooo !!!!

-athina <3