Prologue

Prologue

Death is inevitable. Every passing day leads us closer towards death. Everyone will die, naturally or savagely. No exceptions.
Death closes the door of opportunities in life but it is said to open a new one in heaven. But, how about to those who were left behind?

Death is the least thing on Earth that they want. They hate it. They hate being left behind. Being alone because of death is too much to handle. Death is an enemy that randomly visits you then leaves you shattered and broken.

Life is really full of surprises but I didn't expect it to surprise me a lot. Kanina ay iniisip ko na sana nasa isang set lang ako na parang sa isang pelikula. Where Dad's death was all scripted. That the blood splattered on my clothes and on the floor were just fake. But then reality struck me and shouted right in my face na lahat ng ito ay totoo. Dad is really lying there. Lifeless.

It wasn't long when I asked Mnemosyne and Red about their feeling of being a reaper. Funny how I condemn the reapers for following orders to kill and now I found myself standing in this huge hall, covered with blood, legs shaking, eyes swollen and heart burning with rage. There are a few big people in front of me. The Mafia Boss and his sons, the reapers and others. And all are looking at me intently.

Then my mind wandered to Dad. Mula sa masayang sandali na kasama ko siya. Then to the snapshots of him, lying dead. I winced and tried to clear my mind. Ilang beses ko ng pinigilan ang sarili ko na gawin iyon but I couldn't stop myself from remembering those.

The little conversations.....

The gun that contains the bullets that hit Dad....

The blood.....

My tears.....

My begging....

Dad's last words.....

Tross Delano's evil laugh.....

And the sound of the gun.....

Kahit anong pilit kong iwaksi iyon sa isip ko ay hindi ko magawa...

Suddenly, I found myself gasping for air. I cannot breath well. After a few minutes ay muli kong ibinaling ang atensyon sa mga taong nasa paligid ko. I know they pity me. Only Mom seems to understand how I'm feeling. She cried after receiving the news of Dad's death but the others kept their straight face. They neither look interested nor uninterested.

"I am sorry for your loss Amber but for now, I cannot consider your request given your current state. Talk to me when you're fine", wika ng boses na puno ng awtoridad. His voice used to inject fear on me before but now, it sounds like a falling water. Refreshing. This man really intimidates me the first time I met him in London.

"I don't think I'll be fine."

Can anyone tell me how to be fine after what I've been through? Am I supposed to eat ice cream and indulge myself to a whole monster pizza and then I'll be fine? Why can't they friggin' understand that I will never be fine unless I can take my hands to kill Tross Delano?! Ilang beses ko ng sinabi iyon sa kanila but they're not listening and we keep going into circles. Walang patutunguhan ang pag-uusap na ito dahil ayaw nila akong pakinggan!

Isa-isa na silang nagsitayuan doon at umalis, leaving me behind. Rionessi pacified Mom after she cried a lot. After all, Dad has been good to her despite the false identity he gave her. The reapers also made their exit. I wonder why they're all here pero wala naman nagsalita kahit isa sa kanila. It seems like they're here just to watch. And all that's left now is Cooler. Gray has gone with the police for the investigation kanina matapos akong ihatid dito while Ryu is being treated in his room para sa kanyang tama sa binti.