Chapter ③

Chapter ③

Mason is a really deep sleeper, but then again I barely made any noise. My goal was to get ready and leave without any awkward situations. The only downside is I had to wake up at six o' clock in the morning, only giving me about six hours of sleep, but it was worth it.
Although I am surprised he still didn't wake up even with the shower running.

Now I'm heading down to the theater with Mrs. Banks to meet her cousin and see all the kids. I can't hide the grin that slips onto my face because of two reasons. One, Rome in the morning is just as beautiful as Rome at night and two, I really love volunteering. Just by doing the smallest of things can really change someone's life.

The theatre is small and has old stone framework with small weeds peeking out through the cracks. It looks a little crumbled, but at the same time perfectly antique. We walk inside one of the two dark mahogany doors and see rows of wooden seats, seperated into two sections by three aisles, and a small wooden stage, which already has a small group of kids scattered on it.

"Ashley?" A women appears from behind one of the blood red curtains. "Ciao! Ciao!" She meets us halfway in front of the stage. She greets Mrs. Banks with a hug, a piece of her slightly greying red hair falling loose from her bun, and when she pulls back I'm able to see she's a good few inches taller than Mrs. Banks.

"Ciao Victoria, Come stai?" Mrs. Banks smiles at her and I can't help but notice that they both have matching smiles and warm brown eyes. They begin talking and I try to pick up on what they're saying. I've been taking italian for about six years now, but I'm nowhere near close to being fluent. "Oh, and this is Adeline." That's the only thing I understand out of their whole conversation.

"Adeline," Victoria coos, thick with her italian accent. "Oh! ciao bella!" Bella as in beautiful. Even if you never studied Italian, I think you would know that because it's used very often. For some reason, though, I can't help but feel giddy at the fact that she said it and it shows when the tops of my cheeks tinge just a light shade of pink.

Victoria continues to show us around and explain that the kids don't understand English very well, but will remember our names and if we demonstrate how to do things they'll understand. When she introduces me to the group of about twelve to fifteen kids, they seem a bit shy, but through a translation with Mrs. Banks, Victoria says they'll warm up to us eventually. I give them a little wave as Mrs. Banks and Victoria continue their conversation. They all seem pretty sweet even though they're all looking at me like I'm an alien from another planet, which I guess I kind of am, only just from another country.

This should be fun.

****

"So Ade..." Mia coos, which can only mean the gears in her head are spinning and not in a good direction.

Her eyes are locked on Mason Carter, but before she can say anything I look up at her and shake my head. There isn't anything to talk about, plus I'd rather not talk about him in general. I normally hear enough about him at school. 'Oh he's so cute! Oh he's so hot! Oh he's going to bring us to championships blah blah blah' - no one cares.

"Ade."

Honestly, it still kind of bothers me that they are on this trip. I'm not trying to play territory, but obviously volunteering's my thing. This is my place, this is where I'm comfortable, this is like my second home, and they totally just invaded.

"Ade."

I just don't get it, but Mia said I shouldn't let them bother me, and she's right, I shouldn't let them bother me, so I'm not going to let them bother me.