Chapter ⑦

Chapter ⑦

Okay, I have problem.

A problem that involves two words.

Mason Carter.

Now I know what you're thinking and just to make things clear it's not that kind of problem. It's more of, he's annoying the living crap out of me kind of problem.

He just keeps popping up—everywhere.

Believe me, I've been avoiding him ever since he saw the whole Fergie dance party, but, no matter how hard I try, I end up seeing him at one point during the day.

I need a paint can, he has them. I lost the clipboard, he found it. Mia needs me to grab something, it has to be something he has.

I even tripped the other day walking up the steps of the stage and he happened to be the only witness, looking the other direction and covering up a chuckle with his hand.

I have successfully been able to ignore him and his whole popular persona for the past three years, but now I can't even pretend he doesn't exist because he always just so happens to be right in my face twenty-four seven.

I'm still not over the fact that he's even on this trip. I mean, sure he needs community service, but why couldn't he just go to a soup kitchen like everyone else?

Luckily, though, today is Friday and Mrs. Banks is letting us take the day to go explore and experience the beautiful city we are in. Mia, Georgia, and I planned to go sightseeing and that is good for two reasons. One, I don't have to see Mason all day and two, Riley's available today to help tour us around since she's had the privilege of living here for a few years now.

"Okay, where to first?" I ask now that we're all standing in the mist of a busy street corner. The sky is a clear blue today, leaving the sun to beat down and highlight each individual building.

"Whatever's closest." Mia says, and I slap her shoulder.

"Mia, the whole point of being here is to go sightseeing."

"No, it's to go shopping, eat good food, and meet cute guys." I give her an incredulous look, and Georgia adjusts the big brown sunglasses framing her face.

"Even though I do agree with the guys part and the shopping. Okay, and the food." Georgia shakes her head and holds a finger up. "Okay, I agree with all of that, but I also agree with Adeline, too."

"Okay." Riley nods with a laugh. "How about we find a happy medium? I'll bring you to as many places as possible and if we pass by any souvenir shops we'll stop there."

"That works," I say as Mia and Georgia both nod beside me.

"Great." Riley smiles and pulls out her phone. "Then let's start with the Pantheon." After pulling up the directions in google maps—thank you technology—we start walking in the direction.

I smile taking in my surroundings. I really feel like a tourist now as I observe the average people bustling around the streets. Even though I can't understand what most of them are saying, the words still sound eloquent and a little peculiar falling from their lips. It's all natural to them, so I bet they no longer see the beauty in the place they live in. That's some thing I've come to realize. The more accustomed you become to a thing or place, you're no longer able to recognize the beauty and magic it holds. You only see it's potholes and scars.

The same can be said for people. After you get to know someone, you begin to see who they truly are as a person, but soon who they are is clouded by their past and their mistakes. You no longer see them as a beautiful person, but rather a damaged soul.