Chapter ①⑤

Chapter ①⑤

Mason

I feel like one of those guys in those romance movies. Yes, I've watched a few cheesy romance movies in my time, but that's only because of my mom. Okay, fine, I admit maybe not entirely, but still in those movies there's always two people who get thrown together in a chance encounter, possibly become friends, they start to fall for each other, something bad happens, they make up, and then they live happy ever after or whatever you want to call it.

Right now, I feel like I'm in the bad part. You know, the one where one person did something wrong to the other person and now the entire relationship is in jeopardy.

The girl walked in on the guy and his secretary 'getting it on.' The guy walked in on the girl kissing her ex. The guy read the text on the other guy's phone from another guy. The girl overheard the other girl talking to her friends and telling them that the girl didn't mean anything to her. We saw the girl as she called the guys cell phone and the reason he didn't answer was because he was at the local bar getting drunk, when he said he wouldn't.

And here I am not knowing what I did to make Adeline avoid me.

I mean I thought last night went great. Better yet, these last few days have been great.

I wasn't expecting much when I first found out I had to go on this trip. Actually I wasn't expecting anything at all. Like I said the only reason I came on the trip is because I needed a certain amount of volunteer hours in order to graduate. But there ended up being more to this trip than just volunteering. A whole lot more.

I glance back over at Adeline as we make our way to the airport. I just don't understand what could have possibly gone wrong. She's the reason this trip turned out to be so much better than I thought, and you know what? I want to tell her that. I was going to tell her that, but now she won't even look at me, trying everything in her power to avoid my gaze.

Is she supposed to be doing that?

Hell no!

She's supposed to be blushing when she catches me staring at her. She's supposed to be smiling or laughing at something I did or a joke I made. She's supposed to be, even though she doesn't know it, flirting with me by giving me witty comments.

But she's not and I have no idea why. I'm absolutely clueless, and it's driving me nuts.

You know maybe it's not something I did. I mean what could I have done in the last twelve hours when I was sleeping for ten of them. She's probably just feeling a little nervous for the flight. I remember watching her squeeze Mia's arm last time when we were getting everything checked, so she probably just wants some space. Yeah, that's probably it, she's just nervous for the flight. I find myself nodding satisfied with the idea as we walk in to the airport. We all get our suitcases checked and handed over so they can go on the plane. Just then my phone beeps and I check it before shoving it back in my pocket. I look up to find Mia glaring at me and then she shakes her head before turning back to Adeline.

So, maybe it is me.

After passing through security, we get to the waiting area by our gate and sit down.

"Mrs. Banks, we are going to go get something to drink. Do you want anything?" Mia asks.

"Coffee! Coffee!" Georgia chants as her, Mia, and Adeline turn to walk off.

"Get me an ice cream cone!" Ben calls out making them stop in their tracks.

"It's only seven in the morning," Mia chides, but Ben pulls a puppy dog face.