Chapter ②③

Chapter ②③

After driving for a few minutes with me pestering Mia every two seconds about where we're going, we finally pull into a driveway - Ben's driveway to be exact. I go rigid in my seat as Mia unbuckles her seatbelt.

"Don't worry he's not here," She says softly and then as if on cue Ben opens the front door and waves. I let out the breath I was holding, but still don't make a move to get out of the car.

I look over at Mia. "Why are we here?"

"Because," she says and makes a grab for the door handle, but I stop her.

"Because, why?"

"Be-cause," she drawls. "Ben has something to show us." Then she pops open the driver's side door and steps out. When I don't immediately do the same she turns back around, reaches over the seat into the center console, and then pulls out a cough drop. "Here, now come' on," she says throwing it at me before turning around, slamming the car door shut, and heading up the driveway.

With a sigh, I get out of the car, pop the cough drop in my mouth, and then follow after her. Reaching the door Ben holds it open for us.

"Hey, Mia, Hey Adeline, Ooh nice socks," Ben says as we walk through the door.

"Thanks," I say, sheepishly passing a glance down to my rainbow colored feet.

Ben shuts the door behind me. "How are you feeling?"

I nod. "I'm alright."

"Well, that's good. Oh actually," he comes to stand in front of me, "I've got this new joke I want to test out on you since some people," he looks over at Mia and she sticks her tongue out at him, "don't appreciate them."

I let out a little laugh. "Okay."

"Okay." He rubs his hands together. "Ready?" I nod. "What did the buffalo say to his son when he left for college?"

I think for a second then shrug. "What?"

Ben waves his hand. "Bison."I think about it for a second before bursting into laughter.

"That was good. I'll give you that one," I say pointing my finger at him and he grins.

"See, Mia." He looks over at her and she waves him off.

"Yeah, yeah, where's the video?" She asks.

"Oh, right this way," he says and leads us through a doorway to his living room.

"What video?" I ask and Ben turns around putting a hand on his chest.

"I have evidence to prove that Mr. Carter," He sucks in a breath and holds up his finger, "is innocent."My eyes widen and Mia shakes her head.

"You're not on trial, you weirdo." She shoves his arm and then plops down on the couch. Ben grabs his laptop from the coffee table and then follows suit, but for some reason I remain frozen in the doorway. I start to fidget with my hands, but then they both look up from the screen, and Ben pats the spot next to him. I tuck my arms and mouth into my sweatshirt not wanting to spread any leftover germs and then slowly shuffle over to them. Once I'm seated Ben looks between us.

"Ready?" We both nod before he hits play on the video on the screen.

Immediately loud cheers meet my ears and blurry blue, white, and gold people run through the screen. My heart rate picks up in my chest - homecoming. The camera zooms in on many people's faces before it pans out and that's when I see a blue number seven. My stomach flutters on its own accord.

"Wait for it," Ben says and then on the screen Natalia crashes into Mason while also simultaneously crashing their lips together. My heart squeezes and I go to turn away from the screen, but then Ben starts cracking up beside me. On the screen I watch as Mason's face scrunches up in utter disgust as he pushes Natalia off him and I can't help, but let out a little laugh myself. Since I originally witnessed this scene from behind, I never saw Mason's reaction, but he honestly looks like someone just squirted lemon juice down his throat. Once Ben regains his composure he puts a hand on my arm. Immediately Mason's eyes go wide on the screen and he begins to look everywhere around him. He looks like a lost puppy before his eyes finally land on something. That's when he starts pushing through the crowd as fast as he can and the camera moves so you can see what he's looking at.