four

CHAPTER FOURNIGHTMARE

CHAPTER FOUR
NIGHTMARE

In the darkness of the woods outside her grandfather's house, she saw a grotesque being that wasn't a man but a monster

In the darkness of the woods outside her grandfather's house, she saw a grotesque being that wasn't a man but a monster. Its dark eyes swam with black ink as it stared into her eyes. Sophia felt as if she couldn't breathe. Just the sight of it caused goosebumps to form on her skin, with her hair sticking on its ends.

It was cold, colder than the typical Florida summer nights. Usually, it'd be muggy, but tonight it was freezing. She rubbed her bare arms as the cold night air came through the broken windows and doors that hung off its hinges.

Sophia didn't know what provoked her to do so, but she found herself walking towards the monster. It spoke to her, asking her closer. Come, come... COME! It screamed. She found herself talking back to it but wasn't sure if it understood her.

No

Her scream seemed to work as the monster stopped talking to her. It froze and looked at her in annoyance. She found herself once again frozen, her body feeling cold and lifeless. It was being used in a game of tug-a-war since the monster called for her, but she protested.

Finally, the monster gave up on her coming to him, so instead, it ran for her in a magnificent cry. The beast lunged at her and growled in her face. Sophia let out a whimper in reply, and the monster took her soul.

Her bedroom door was slammed open. Jacob was running into her room and bringing the crying and screaming girl into his embrace. Their parents are pretending they didn't hear their child wake in a tremendous scream of terror.

"It's okay; everything is going to be okay. We're fine." He repeated over and over, trying to bring a sense of security to the two of them.

We spent most of the last couple of months in beige waiting rooms and hearing whispers of our mental and physical state. Therapy was never something I had coped with well. I didn't like to tell people how I felt or if I got enough to sleep the night before.