one

CHAPTER ONEEXTRAORDINARY

CHAPTER ONE
EXTRAORDINARY

Today was supposed to be just as ordinary as any other, but I've grown to realise that one's life is never ordinary and yet sometimes extraordinary

Today was supposed to be just as ordinary as any other, but I've grown to realise that one's life is never ordinary and yet sometimes extraordinary. Jacob and I soon had to admit that our life was never to be ordinary again.

My brother and I spent the day like any other. We'd go to work at Smart Aid, try to get fired (yet fail miserably every time). Sometimes afterwards, we'd visit our grandfather, or we'd go back home and spend our endless summer with my brother's annoying friend, Ricky.

Ricky wasn't exactly my friend, but he was pretty much all Jacob had. At school, no one talked to us, and we never made an effort in making any friends either. We're what one might call 'unapproachable twins'. We were always together because we feel comfortable in the presence of each other and feel lonely or isolated without the other. Most likely due to years of our parents ignoring us and having to find our desired comfort with each other.

Though, many bullied us for it or when we were alone in a class because teachers hated putting siblings in the same class as one another and then we were forced to make conversation with others, no matter how much we hated it.

Today marked the day our lives stopped being ordinary.

Jacob and I spent the whole afternoon at Smart Aid constructing a one-box/ten-thousand-square scaled replica of the Empire State Building from boxes of 'On Sale!' adult diapers. We were pretty proud of ourselves. The base stretched to five feet, and it towered over the cosmetic aisle just behind.

I was on the ladder placing the last box on the top of our makeshift Empire State Building while the two of us laughed, the sound of squelching could be heard coming down the frozen food aisle to the left of our display, and I wavered on the ladder, Jacob was quick to catch it as I saw the red hair of Shelly popping over the edge.

"You used Neverleak," Shelly said once I had fully come off the ladder. I turned around to her and sighed as she eyes our work with a sceptical frown. "The sale's on Stay-Tite."