thirty-two

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWOFROZEN OVER

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
FROZEN OVER

All hell had broken loose, and skeletons were climbing up the bodies of Hollows which were covered by popcorn, fairy floss, and snow

All hell had broken loose, and skeletons were climbing up the bodies of Hollows which were covered by popcorn, fairy floss, and snow. Anything the other peculiars had found, they used. Enoch and I stood still watching the mayhem around us, impressed by how quickly everything went down.

People were running and screaming. Hollows were being thrown every which way while the skeletons used whatever they could find to use as a weapon. Bronwyn used her strength to help kill all Hollows.

When they were all down, all the peculiars regrouped together, Jacob taking the lead. "Alright, good job, guys. It's time for step two."

"Save Miss peregrine!" Bronwyn called out, which caused Jacob and I to share an uneased look.

"Uh, that's sorta step three. First, we gotta get through the wights that are guarding the entrance, and then we can save her." I smiled at the young teen and turned to Jacob, who waved us through, guiding the way towards the Wights.

When we reached the theatre, we all went our separate way and hid within the stands, listening to Barron as he yelled at the other two Wights, angered by how much work he had done to achieve this, but it all coming crashing down just because of a few meddling kids.

Emma was the first to attack, throwing a fireball towards Barron, sending him back into the pinwheel, the man furiously slapping out the flames on his suit as Jacob sent an arrow flying to the side of his head.

"Hugh, now!" I called. The boy stood from his spot and sent an army of bees flying towards the other two Wights. The girl quickly ripped off her skirt to allow for her peculiarity to not be restricted and claimed the posts, using her monkey-like features to guide her, while the man ran for the conveniently placed pool, causing the bees to lift off his body.

"What are you doing? Get them!" Barron yelled at the two Wights, annoyed at their lack of help. The woman quickly dipped down and grabbed a bucket of knives which she used to throw in the direction of Hugh, who promptly ducked down, Emma and Jacob who moved away in time and towards me, with wide eyes I was pulled away from the knives by Enoch who had been by my side.

"You think you can stand in my way, you! Jake, Sophia? Content to age and die as if you had not the gift of peculiarity at all!" He called out within the theatre, looking all around him as everyone hid, though I noticed Emma from the corner of my eye, who crept up on Barron, slowly staying out of sight. "I am a higher being, and I own the secrete to eternal life!"

"Sorry, but I'm afraid that won't last long," she spat, putting her fiery hands on his shoulders and watched as they went up in flames. Barron quickly took off his jacket and chucked it towards the blonde, then promptly turned around as an arrow went flying past his head. Jacob was a lousy shot.

"I guess accuracy is not your peculiarity." He laughed at Jacob, though he wasn't laughing for long, as Bronwyn used her strength to lift a bench seat from the choir and threw it towards the man, knocking him towards the ground.

I turned around, looking for some form of weapon that I could use and found the three knives that had been thrown at me lodged into the wooden chairs. With all my might, I pried them from the wood and held them triumphantly within my hands, Enoch taking an axe he found in an 'in case of the emergency box. 

Not being able to load the crossbow anymore, Jacob went charging for Barron with an arrow in hand, though he was quickly knocked to the ground, my heart skipping a beat in my chest from nerves, "Abe was a much worthy advisory." He looked down at Jacob with a grin.

I kept from my spot behind the barrier and charged for Barron. Enoch's grasp wasn't able to stop me, and knowing that if he called my name to stop me that I'd be hurt, he kept quiet. The knife in my hand plunged into the back of Barrons right shoulder. Blood gushing from the wound covered my hand. The man let out a cry and quickly turned, knocking me to the ground.

Barron took the knife from his back and made his way for the back entrance. Quickly, I took in my surroundings to see the closest to the entrance and saw the prophetic boy, "Horace, stop him!" I called.

Horace stood in front of the man and used his eyeglass to show a prophetic vision in hopes that the light would blind or slow the man down. It did not. Barron quickly pushed the boy to the ground and continued walking. Jacob and Emma fast travelled after the man while Enoch ran to my side and helped me stand, "Are you okay?" He asked, holding me up.

"I'm fine, Enoch. Go check on the others," I said, giving him a nod and going to take a step to the side to detach ourselves but a sharp pain going up my ankle caused me to freeze, "Oh god, I sprained my ankle!" I yelled, annoyed.

A scream from Bronwyn caused Enoch and me to turn around to see the man wight had grabbed her and pulled her into the shallow pool, jumping from the water he held her under. I used all the strength I had to move my way towards the man, two knives still in my possession, one finding its new home in the man's side. He quickly turned to me, placing a hand on my arm and an intense cold started to fuel my senses. My eyes shifted towards the pool to see Bronwyn half frozen over.

"Hey, leave them alone!" Fiona called and threw seeds at the man's feet. The man was taken back and scoffed at the brunette, that was until the poison ivy began to cover him, constricting him of blood and oxygen flow.

"Are you okay?" She asked me, looking at my arm covered in ice. I nodded and looked towards Bronwyn, who was still under ice. "Oh, what do we do?" She asked me. I turned towards her and noticed that man from before had used his ice peculiarity to freeze and break the vines.

"Fiona, watch out!" I cried, pushing the girl out of the way, the man's ice-cold hand finding a spot on my shoulder. The breath from my mouth frosted over, and my heart began to ache with the cold. I used all my strength I had to send a knife right into the man's chest. He quickly let go, and as he fell to the ground, so did I.

From above, I could see that Millard and Clair were fighting the female weight, Clair using her back-mouth to bite off the woman's arm and send her down to the frozen pool where Bronwyn used her strength to come out of. The girl also using her power to quickly send the woman flying into the pews, causing her to break her neck during the fall.

I smiled with a short chuckle, knowing our fighting was over, though my breath got stuck, and I started to cough. I had never felt so cold before. If this is what hypothermia is like, I'm glad I lived out most of my life in Florida.