twenty-nine

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINETHE PECULIAR GOODBYE

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
THE PECULIAR GOODBYE

Emma, Millard, Olive And Enoch followed Jacob and me as we lead them through the loop

Emma, Millard, Olive And Enoch followed Jacob and me as we lead them through the loop. Which still, thankfully, worked. Taking them to the tavern where our father would hopefully be. Upon arriving, Kev was busy taking orders to notice us six kids walk in and sneakily walk up the stairs while we noticed our father bent over a glass of whisky, I thought he'd probably be contemplating his bird book and what to do about the other 'fake' bird watcher, but I noticed that he was asleep. Knowing he'd be sent to his room soon, I quickly ushered the other children along, thinking it best if we wrote a note.

Jacob and I walked up behind the children and directed the way into our shared room. Jacob searched, looking for paper while I grabbed a pen from the bedside table. I took a seat in front of the coffee table in the rather small lounge room we had been provided, while Jacob came over with a piece of paper in hand and sat down by my side, the two of us contemplating what to write.

Enoch rested on the couch sitting behind us while Emma helped Millard stand, his wound had stopped bleeding by now. Olive let out a sigh as she removed her shoes and enjoyed the time as she waited by not having to wear her heavy shoes under the low hanging roof. Enoch, however, was understandably on edge. He leaned over my shoulder, breath slightly fanning my neck as he watched me write. My handwriting began to worsen as my hand shook with the proximity to Enoch. A blush on my neck and cheeks, goose flesh on my neck. Jacob was mumbling what to write now and again, oblivious to my blush as I noticed his eyes trained on Emma.

"What if he comes up here?" Enoch asked. I jumped at the sudden break in silence, his voice a whisper but heard by those of us in the room. Enoch was anxious, I knew that. He had just lost Miss Peregrine, being one of the longest within the home alongside her, he was not too impressed about the situation in which we were not out searching for her. I had given him the choice to stay behind, to get everything we needed together, but he insisted on coming leaving Fiona and Hugh behind as the supervision.

"Then he'll have to believe." I huffed back, suppressing the blush. I was sure that Emma and Millard had picked up on it by now, their eyes on us as Emma scowled at the brown-haired boy behind me. When he had asked, I was midway through a sentence and now I was trying to retrace my steps to where I had gotten up to before I was interrupted.