Chapter 9 - Maria

My family is considered high class in Manila. Most kids from my school are already high class, but plenty of my classmates still call me RK--Rich Kid. My father and I live in Corinthian Gardens, which is basically the Beverly Hills of the Philippines (because he has such a high position in the government).
Point made, I've never seen a house this big or this grand in my entire fifteen years of existence, even though I'm considered the RK of all the RKs. Mom leads us through the halls of the house, pointing out amazing pieces of art hanging on the walls and letting us peek into the rooms. Libraries, an art studio, a GRAND BALLROOM for Duterte's sake, a freaking grand ballroom.
Mom leads us up a grand stair case until we reach the third floor. "Anton's room is right here." she says, mentioning a door on our left. "And this is your room! I hope you don't mind sharing. The room is plenty big and you can pull down the divider if you like, but I thought you two might want to share."
She opens the door and steps inside, leaving Emilia and I to gape in wonder. The room is gigantic, the walls are painted cream and the shag carpet is soft and fluffy.
"Wow." Emilia says, stepping into the room and walking to one of the two beds. She flops down on the black comforter and sighs with satisfaction. "I need a fourteen hour nap." she says with a yawn.
I follow her in and I can see two helpers in the middle of all our suitcases, pulling out our clothes and hanging them in the walk in closets.
"Sociallllllllll." I say in awe, as Mom smiles. (Translated: fancy)
"You can choose whichever side you want. The desks are for you and I did get you two presents--they should help with your school!"
Emilia is already snoring softly, so Mom hands me a shopping bag and sets the other beside Emilia's bed. "Your father said you didn't have a laptop, so I took the liberty of buying you one, my anak."
"...Wow. Thank you po." I say, smiling. "I have Polvoron for you, from Tatay."
"Ah yes!! I miss Polvoron. I'm so excited that you're here!" Nanay says, her smile softening. "I can't wait for you to meet your step-dad. But I'll let you nap first. Lucia, Eva, shall we let them rest?" she says to the helpers, who nod and stop in their work. "Goodnight, my anak!" Nanay says, giving me one last squeeze before stepping out of the room.
I can't do much other then pull out my phone, text Tatay that we're safe in Berlin, and hit my pillows with a thud.