A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic) FORTY

Jessica had finally come back from her holiday break – twice as tan and suddenly blonde. If only she had bleached her attitude than she could have been a little more tolerable for Key. Unfortunately, he was stuck working with her in the rush hour part of day while Onew went out to run some errands and JongHyun worked on a major report upstairs that he should have worked on earlier. Yes, Key did find this a laughable matter since he’d long completed the exact same paper.

            “Key, I have a stupid question about nail polish here,” Jessica droned. The girl in front of her looked like she wanted to melt into a puddle.

            “Can’t you answer it yourself?” Key shot back from where he was bagging some girl’s purchases.

            The evening pursued in a similar manner. Everyone was lucky that Key had found something related to peace in his life otherwise the claws would have been unsheathed and Jessica’s new Barbie look would have been massacred.

            Everything was running along just fine. The New Year had brought on a small covering of happiness that soothed everyone. Only a few customers were roaming the aisles leaving the quiet hum of the heater to make noise by itself. It was peaceful (and not just because Key couldn’t hear Jessica talking). That is, it was peaceful, until JongHyun’s screaming shattered the nice atmosphere.

            “What do you mean he was bailed out?! He just got convicted! The judge said five years or… Damn it! Who had that kind of money?! Who paid his bail? I want a name! I don’t care if you can’t release that information to me! You know what?! You and your system can go to hell!” There was a loud smashing sound as he most likely threw the phone down onto its base. A series of banging and stomping noises followed after. Key was sure he heard JongHyun grumble about stupid people letting criminals out onto the street again.

            “I’m taking my break!” Key called, ignoring Jessica’s slurred garble.

            Taking the stairs two at a time, Key thrust open the door to find his boyfriend pacing back and forth across the living room.

            “Hyun, what’s wrong? What’s happening?” Key asked. He struggled to take off his sole remaining shoe while hopping over to him. When his socked foot finally touched the hardwood floors he was finally able to confront the fuming boy properly. “What’s going on?” he asked again.

            “They let him out! Someone bailed that asshole out! He was barely in jail for three days after his trial and someone bailed him out!” JongHyun raged.

            “Who? Not… Not MinHo right?” Key asked, not so much fearful but sceptical.

            “Yes, him!” The shorter male breezed away from Key and stormed to his bedroom. Seconds later a pillow flew out and landed pitifully on the couch. “I hate him! I hate him, I hate him, I hate him! What kind of jerk – ugh!” A pencil bounced off a lamp shade and thudded onto the floor.

            Key watched it so seizure like movements on the floor and then fall still. JongHyun’s anger was scaring him slightly, despite that Key was finding it difficult to discern his own feelings. He knew he should probably be acting like his boyfriend and be resenting the state for releasing the guy that had put him in hospital for more than a day. But oddly enough, he couldn’t feel the same way. During MinHo’s arrest – and with all his hysterics settled courtesy of a few counselling sessions – he had found a still ground. He’d accepted the fact that it had happened nearly a year ago. And there was also that face that MinHo had given him before he’d went crazy and the words MinHo had said to him before JongHyun had come.