Wicked: Discombobulated, Part Two

"Where's Louise?" Adam asked as he let himself in, an ominous aura radiating from around him. There was an immediate overwhelming surge of mixed emotions as soon as our eyes met and I knew that what I was feeling for him was mutual.

           I've missed him. And he, I. I knew I needed his comforting words, his consolidating touch, and the gentleness his promises offered... The promise that everything will be okay. He knew that as well.

           I felt my face morphed into different forms of euphoric state as his did so until he suddenly seem to remember who let him in. And then that was the moment his face turned into something that meant danger.

       "There's nothing more that can surprise me seeing you standing here." Adam said, referring to Damon. He was surprisingly calm but his eyes were sharp and it was obvious through the tautness of his jaw that he was gritting his teeth. "Haven't I already warned you?"

       Warned him? 

       Adam continued. "I didn't believe the news that got to me but I could never fathom the guts you have to actually talk or even show up in front of her."

       Damon looked away, unfazed. He pocketed his hands before speaking in an unperturbed tone. "The doctor will arrive soon. He'll have a look at her and then he'd be off. Take good care of her."

       And then Adam threw a good, hard punch across Damon's cheek. 

       Damon staggered backwards, and it was obvious then that he didn't see that one coming. Neither did I. He put a thumb on the corner of his lips, where there was now blood trickling down, before looking up at Adam. 

       The atmosphere was rigid; it was cold and uninviting, sending an uncomfortable feeling all over my entire existence. Damon wasn't reacting, as if nothing had happened... as if Adam's punch didn't take a toll on him--although I perfectly knew it did. 

       He didn't see that one coming, but he sure as hell knew it was.

       Adam had a reserved expression on his face, one that told me he had been holding back up until now. One that told Damon, that that punch wasn't enough for everything he had put us through. One that told me, Adam had been really hurting, because I was... and he was hurting even more.

       Damon said nothing more and with a tormented expression on his face, he departed from my front door. Adam shut the door after him before ponderously walking sitting down beside me. He caught glimpse of my foot and his eyes widened in surprise.

       "What did that bastard do to you?" 

       I chuckled nervously, trying to lighten the mood. "That language isn't going to get you anywhere near being answered, Mr. Reade."

       He looked at me blankly.

       "It wasn't his fault." I said, sighing. "In fact, he helped me a lot. It was a stupid accident and I was lucky enough he heard me."

       "Lucky?" Adam asked, in complete disbelief and confused. "And what did you mean by heard?"  

       I bit my lip. "Um... he lives across now."

       His eyes widened. "He's returned to their old place?"

       I nodded faintly. Adam said none after and sighed. It took him a couple of minutes before glancing back up at me and speaking. "Louise, you do realize what he meant by that, don't you?"

       "Meant by what?" I asked, frowning the slightest bit. 

       "By returning here--teaching at school again and getting back to their old place."