Wicked: The Phantom of the Auditorium

247... 248... 249... 250... 251...

An annoying tone pierced through my silent room. For the past forty five minutes, I've been mindlessly throwing the purple squeeze ball Seane had given me for Christmas against the wall. It was kinda very much alike Mr. Clyde and I, no matter how hard I threw it away, it just keeps on getting back to me with the same unrelenting force as I had thrown it. Before my phone completely rings out, I picked it up. I had lost count of my throws anyway.

"What?" I answered, annoyed.

"I was gonna tell you I swear." The other line immediately defended.

I rolled my eyes. "But you didn't. Without so much as a heads up!"

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you were coming back today!" Sam replied. "Nobody knew. Well, except for that damned brunette you had yourself picked up by."

Dennis knew. And that was what he referred to as something 'I'd have to see for myself'.

"Look, if I'd told you, you probably would have come back later or never. At least now we can brainstorm and figure out a way to deal with it." She said. "And for whatever it's worth, I don't know what he's doing here either. I didn't think he'd last a week once he found out you weren't coming to school yet."

"But he didn't bail." I said. "And I can't just leave everything to luck cause as far as I'm concerned, it's only cost me all of my Miles."

"I'm so sorry for not telling you." Sam apologized once again.

"You know what, he's just my teacher now. Nothing more than that." I said.

"You better put that in mind." She replied. "Don't let him get in the way of having the best semester of your life!"

"That's the exact plan." I agreed. "Hey listen, I gotta go, I have a new neighbor and I got them a housewarming gift."

"Is it your Mom's ever famous golden lasagna?"

I smiled a little. "You know it is."

Sam chuckled. "Alright, I'm not gonna hold you off any longer but Louise?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm really sorry, okay?"

"I know you are."

I swiped my phone off and got down to the kitchen, finding the oven finishing the last minute off. The lasagna was ready and so was I. Mom had this huge influence on me to always welcome a new neighbor in and the best way was with her "Golden lasagna". Part of the reason why I had pushed myself to do this was so that if ever those folks across the street was kind enough and they found out I was living alone, they'd probably invite me over for dinner every now and then, especially when I was too exhausted to make my own.

I foiled the Pyrex, grabbed my scarf and headed out, hoping that my new neighbors haven't had their dinner yet. The wintry scene outside was undoubtedly beautiful but silent. Good thing my destination was barely a hundred meters across the street. The feeling of butterflies party rocking inside my stomach hit me only when I stepped foot in their massive pathway through the snowy lawn. I was a hundred and ten percent absolute sure this lasagna was faultless, but what if my sheer audacity to welcome myself to offer them a housewarming gift doesn't play out to them. As soon as I've handed this out to them I'll be gone. Unless of course they invited me in... And insisted.

I knocked on their navy blue door three times and waited for a response. Soon enough, footsteps started growing larger and larger until the door lock clicked.

"Hi. Good evening!" I cheerfully greeted. "I'm from across the street-"

"What a pleasant surprise Ms. President."