Chapter Seven

Another month passed, with three more coins found in the swamp. Each of them had been sent off for dating and other tests to make sure they were legitimate. Tonight, we would finally discover the truth of them, at our weekly meeting.

The twins' restaurant—or rather, their parents' restaurant—was a nice, small pizza place with a cozy feel to it. There were booths and tables together, situated across the checkerboard tile like any other parlor I'd been to. Towards the back of the room, the counter blocked the opening to the ovens and preparation area. The few times I'd been here for meetings had left me eagerly anticipating the next time we would come and eat while we discussed work.

It was amazing to me that I'd been able to stay so easily. Before, work meant going to the university library and helping students all day. Now it meant excitement and adventure. With the way I'd taken to everything since finding the first coin, it was no wonder Mom had been afraid I'd skip out on her and throw myself into the pit like Dad had. Still, I'd expected at least a little flak from someone about staying. But, no, the university had filled my spot easily, promising to keep me on for however long I wanted. It probably wasn't hard for them to find someone to work my shifts with all of those people looking for jobs. Millie, my strangely energetic, elderly next-door neighbor, had agreed to keep watching the house, having already received a key from me when I left. My friends all wanted to know what it was like to search for buried treasure. Not one person had said anything negative to me. I halfway wondered if it was because I'd just lost a parent and none of them wanted to tell me anything bad.

Lost in my thoughts about home, I followed Dad back behind the counter, through the kitchen, and into the back room, where Scott and Mark were already waiting, pizza in hand. The twins were just finishing up cleaning the oven.

"Evening," Scott mumbled around his food. Beside him, a package that appeared to hold all of our coins sat on the table, making me practically hum with excitement.

"Have you read any of the statements, yet?" Dad asked, taking a seat.

Shaking his head no, he tried to catch the cheese hanging out of his mouth with his fingers. "Wanted to wait till we were all together."

Taking my own seat, I drummed my fingers on the table, feeling extremely jittery.

"Mike!" Eric suddenly appeared in the doorway, alarm on his face. "Duke McCrery just parked outside and is coming up to the door!"

"What?" Mark practically yelled. "What the hell does he want?"

"I don't know, but he's got a man in a suit with him."

"Great," Dad mumbled, standing up and following Eric to the front of the store. The bell on the entrance rang and a distinctly western accent started speaking loudly.

"Howdy, Michael," the deep voice said. "How are you this evening?"

"There's no need to be polite," Dad answered grimly. "I can see your lawyer standing next to you. What is it you're trying to pin on me now, Duke?"

Curiosity getting the better of me, I rose from my own chair and went out to see what was going on. Mark and Scott followed suit. There was indeed a lawyer out there, a black briefcase that matched his suit held tightly in his hand as he pushed the rim of his glasses up his nose with the other. He looked nervous, but that may have been because the man next to him was absolutely fearsome. Duke McCrery appeared to be in his late forties or early fifties, and was almost positively from Texas, based off the way he spoke and the clothes he was wearing. It felt like I was home in Arizona looking at his cowboy hat, button up white shirt, jean pants, and his boots. It wouldn't surprise me if there were spurs hiding back there somewhere as well. Every inch of him looked like the classic cowboy.