Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Are ye ready to go?" Our horse was loaded down with food and trinkets, gifts from the people. All we wanted to do was leave, but they had kept calling us back for some ceremony to present us with something else. On the plus side, they'd left us alone through the night and supplied us with several herbs that would aid in the healing of Tristan's shoulder.

"Yes," I sighed gratefully, taking the reins from him and pulling the horse forward.

Mother Agnetha appeared in the doorway of her hut, her foot bandaged and held off the ground. It was the first I'd seen of her since our opium trip and I balked, hoping that she would let us go in peace.

"Wait!" she called, hobbling toward us.

"Great," I moaned under my breath. My head was pounding, Tristan was sore, and I really just wanted to get to the ship.

"You," she said, pointing at me. "Come here."

Rolling my eyes at Tristan, who had the good grace to only smile and not laugh, I crossed the small distance between us with ease. "Is something wrong?" I asked politely.

"Your path is one filled with danger and regret, but your home is not far away. You must look inside yourself to find the things that you search for now." Leering strangely, she tugged me into her embrace, holding me against her tightly. "The pit brings his death," she hissed in my ear. "Fire, pain. You are number eight. You hold the key."

Jerking away from her, I stumbled, falling to the ground.

"Eight," she repeated, her eyes displaying a distant look. "Eight is a magic number." Shaking her head, she returned to normal, watching me sit on the ground as though I were crazy.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, scared. "Who's death? Tristan?" Turning to glance at him, his worried expression did nothing to qualm my fears.

"The message is gone," she replied simply. "It has been delivered. Safe travels to you both." Nodding, she turned and limped away, disappearing into her hut.

"Wait!" I called out, frantic. "That can't be all there is!"

"Samantha." Tristan's voice was gentle, but urging at the same time. "Come. We have to walk a long way and we're both tired."

Jittered by the cryptic fortune, I got to my feet, grabbing onto the reins of the horse like they were the only thing keeping me from floating away.

"It will be all right, lass," he continued quietly, patting the horse on the behind to get him moving. "We'll think on it later. Let us be done with this place." There was an uncomfortable tone to his voice, suggesting he thought the area to be evil.

Following the trail out into the long grass, we departed in silence, leaving the village and its mysteries behind. There was no conversation about what had been done to us, or the prophecy given me. Tristan seemed to be focused on his shoulder, the sling around his arm tied tightly to keep it from moving too much. By the time we'd entered the jungle, we were both covered in sweat and I wished we could have ridden back, but the horse was carrying too much.

"What about the crew member she cursed?" I finally inquired, feeling like I needed to at least say something.

"She's revoked her statement, as another thanks to us. Apparently, she doesn't often deal with the gods actually coming down and inhabiting her body, if at all. She mostly listens to the wind and relays what it is telling her." He grunted, his shoulder bumping against the horse, and let out a long sigh.

"Will ye still go home, then, Sam?" He acted like he was asking if I wanted water or wine with my meal, but I knew he was hiding whatever emotions he felt under the question.